The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Question: Flu and Palate

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Question: Flu and Palate

by Brian K Miller » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:24 pm

I am fighting some dreadful bug. Flu? Who knows-painful, dry, nonproductive cough, exhaustion, piercing headache.

Anyway...I was stubborn and still went to dinner with wine. I know a Kermit Lynch label Beaujolais is not supposed to taste like medicinal cough syrup-and even the Chablis tasted harsh and blaring.

Any thoughts/history on virus and palate? Or...is this a silly topic that is too obvious for comment?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Norm N

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:58 pm

Re: Question: Flu and Palate

by Norm N » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:32 pm

I generally do not drink when I feel like that. For me, it's just a waste of money. All I can taste is the alcohol. I might as well go to the medicine cabinet and take a swig of rubbing alcohol, I'd never be able to tell the difference (except in the latter case, my wife would be taking me into the emergency room).

Norm
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:39 pm

Norm N wrote:I generally do not drink when I feel like that. For me, it's just a waste of money. All I can taste is the alcohol. I might as well go to the medicine cabinet and take a swig of rubbing alcohol, I'd never be able to tell the difference (except in the latter case, my wife would be taking me into the emergency room).

Norm

That would have to be a pretty big swig, Norm!

Likely you'd just intensify the symptoms you already had. And get a very fruity breath from the acetones you'd be giving off. But it would take more than a swig of isopropyl to put you in the emergency room.

You're thinking of wood alcohol. Or really bad moonshine. :D

Hoke (who is preempting the inevitable arrival of our resident chem geek, Mr. Lipton)
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:45 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:painful, dry, nonproductive cough, exhaustion, piercing headache.

All of these can influence your mood and your perception of wine, but for me the big issue is always whether or not my nose is stuffed. If I can't smell properly then I can't taste properly and I don't open wine. End of story.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:47 pm

If I'm that ill, I stay home so I don't pass my misery to everyone else. :P
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:08 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:If I'm that ill, I stay home so I don't pass my misery to everyone else. :P

True...but I needed to get away from the apartment (Max-RIP) and after five days, I am no longer contagious, so...
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:00 pm

I would almost rather break a leg than catch a cold, or worse, the flu. Do you have a fever? If not, it's just a bad cold.

I used to lecture WLDGers on how never to catch a cold. Simply, never, under any circumstances, touch your nose or eyes without first washing your hands - and that includes blowing your nose on paper. Viruses sail right through tissue or napkins. This is very hard to train yourself to do, but when you get the hang of it, you will never get another cold, unless someone coughs or sneezes into your face. I think you can eat cold viruses with impunity.

After the horse is out of the barn, you are cooked. I admit I screwed up this year after four successful years. I had forgotten that I had just gone to the store and touched my nose without first washing my hands. I said, crap, I deserve one, and two days later I got one. I just drank plonk that somehow got into my cellar and waited out the ten days. Everything will taste like crap or not at all.
no avatar
User

David Glasser

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:51 am

Maryland

by David Glasser » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:26 pm

Agree with the others. If I am stuffed up, have a sore throat, or just feel crummy, I pass on the wine. Just doesn't come across right. Covert gives good advice about handwashing - not a 100% guarantee against getting infected but a major risk reducer.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:44 am

Hoke wrote:
Likely you'd just intensify the symptoms you already had. And get a very fruity breath from the acetones you'd be giving off. But it would take more than a swig of isopropyl to put you in the emergency room.

Hoke (who is preempting the inevitable arrival of our resident chem geek, Mr. Lipton)

From the redoubtable Merck Index: "100 ml can be fatal." So, yes, it'd take a very big slug. And, yes, methanol (wood alcohol) is far more toxic, putting me in mind of the old ditty:

We never stagger
We never fall
We sober up on
Wood alcohol
While our loyal friends go marching
Back to the bars for more

(sung to the tune of the Notre Dame Fight Song)

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:27 pm

Rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) causes severe digestive upset. You'd probably end up barfing it all back up again.

Regarding flu and palate, one severe bout of flu completely knocked out my sense of smell. But it was New Year's Eve, so I bought take-out dinner (I was to ill to cook) at the best local Chinese restaurant and opened a bottle of Champagne anyway. The Champagne had no aroma at all and merely tasted very sour. The wonderful stir-fry tasted like salty cardboard. It was very depressing.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:37 pm

The last time I had cold & flu (and double ear infection at hte same time) was on a business trip to...wait for it...France! 4 days in France when I could smell or taste exactly nothing.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:44 pm

Covert wrote:I said, crap, I deserve one, and two days later I got one.

See, sometimes guilt is not a bad thing: keeps us on the straight and narrow.

I am progressing through a bad illness at the moment but this wasn't the typical flu where smells/tastes are whacked, just the constant dry cough and phlegm, so I can actually still taste wine. As I say, my food would miss it.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:59 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Hoke wrote:

From the redoubtable Merck Index: "100 ml can be fatal." So, yes, it'd take a very big slug. And, yes, methanol (wood alcohol) is far more toxic, putting me in mind of the old ditty:

We never stagger
We never fall
We sober up on
Wood alcohol
While our loyal friends go marching
Back to the bars for more

(sung to the tune of the Notre Dame Fight Song)

Mark Lipton

To the tune of??? Heck, I always thought that was the Notre Dame Fight Song.