The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Recent glee

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

TN: Recent glee

by Mark S » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:46 am

While waiting for spring to 'turn-the-corner' as they say in these parts, Every corner I come to I need to proceed with caution, edging out leetle-by-leetle to see what happens to be on the other side of the frozen snowbanks. Recession, winter cold, what not be damned, there is wine to drink!

Toni Jost, Bacharacher Hahn, Riesling - S, 2006
Has anybody else noticed what a cool looking label Toni Jost has? This is upper-medium in the quality hierarchy, with a spring flower nose, soursop and 7UP flavors in the glass with a nicely chalky finish. It's been awhile since I last had one of his wines, and I'll be drinking them again if I find them, particularly for under 20 bones.

Marcarini, Dolcetto d'Alba, 'Boschi di Berri', 2005
Whaappened? I liked the 2004 of this so much that I find this lacking. This is ready to go, pop N pour.

Bruno Giacosa, Barbaresco, 'Asili', 1998
Since no one else has opened one of these up for me, I have to do it myself, and boy, am I glad I did. The color is light on this, but has exquisite aromas of dried roses, cooked forest mushrooms sauteed in butter, light fruits. Drinking this I'm reminded of rose-petal water like the kind Indian brides splash themselves with, a touch of narcisus and strawberry. All of this feels very pure. Some light tannin cuts in at the finish, but everything is drinking so well right now, why wait?

Charvin, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, 2004
I like when one producer has only one wine, instead of several cuvees, in her/his lineup. It makes life feel like hitting the Staples easy button. Horsesweat and procencal summer fields on the nose, along with a light tar-creosote aroma, but all in a nice way. Chewy asphalt, cherry-black raspberry flavors with only the lightest of tannic endings. Good and surprisingly accessible now. Not up to the complexity and power of the 2000, nor the supple charm of the 1999, this has it's place as a lovely wine in a modest profile, not blockbuster, but something I would care to drink again, and again.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: TN: Recent glee

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Nice notes! Had to look up "procencal" (thought it was some scientific geek term) and was informed by the omniscient Dr. Google that you meant Provençal! :lol:
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: TN: Recent glee

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:45 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Nice notes! Had to look up "procencal" (thought it was some scientific geek term) and was informed by the omniscient Dr. Google (try it!) that you meant Provençal! :lol:
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.