The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Anselmi Capitel Croce 2004

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Anselmi Capitel Croce 2004

by Saina » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:58 pm

Anselmi Capitel Croce 2004 13% abv; 5,9g/l acidity; 20,20€

It is an almost-Soave IGT Veneto, iirc 100% Garganega that spends eight months in barrique of partly(?) new wood. I tried it on release and disliked it because of excess wood. I tried it again today, and I think the oak is better integrated than in any Pieropan La Rocca that I have tried. Sure it does show as a slight spiciness on the nose and a slight toffee taste, but the whole is more to do with those white flower and citrus and mineral scents I so like in Pieropan's Calvarino. Bright and acidic, citrussy - I would like it even more without that slight toffee hint, but I had no idea this could turn out so well. So even though I admit this was nice, I'm still not convinced of oak and Garganega.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: WTN: Anselmi Capitel Croce 2004

by Florida Jim » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:56 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Anselmi Capitel Croce 2004 13% abv; 5,9g/l acidity; 20,20€

It is an almost-Soave IGT Veneto, iirc 100% Garganega that spends eight months in barrique of partly(?) new wood. I tried it on release and disliked it because of excess wood. I tried it again today, and I think the oak is better integrated than in any Pieropan La Rocca that I have tried. Sure it does show as a slight spiciness on the nose and a slight toffee taste, but the whole is more to do with those white flower and citrus and mineral scents I so like in Pieropan's Calvarino. Bright and acidic, citrussy - I would like it even more without that slight toffee hint, but I had no idea this could turn out so well. So even though I admit this was nice, I'm still not convinced of oak and Garganega.

Otto,
You may already know this but Anselmi does a Calvarino-type bottling - they call it Capitel Foscarino - single vineyard, no wood. 'Worth a try and usually less expensive then Calvarino.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Anselmi Capitel Croce 2004

by Saina » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:49 pm

Florida Jim wrote:You may already know this but Anselmi does a Calvarino-type bottling - they call it Capitel Foscarino - single vineyard, no wood. 'Worth a try and usually less expensive then Calvarino.
Best, Jim

Jim, yes I've seen your enthusiastic notes on the Capitel Foscarino and have since hoped it would would become available here. But Finns seem to like lots of wood, so we've had this Capitel Croce and La Rocca available almost all the time, yet only once did we briefly have the Calvarino and never the Foscarino.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.