The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Inimitable Vaynerchuk meets inimitable Rogov

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Inimitable Vaynerchuk meets inimitable Rogov

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:15 pm

That's right, our good friend and fellow forum host Daniel Rogov, during his recent U.S. tour, dropped by WineLibraryTV for an extensive interview about kosher wines with none other than Gary Vay-ner-chuk!

This one is not to be missed. The episode airs today and is available at this link. Enjoy!
http://tv.winelibrary.com/2009/02/27/ev ... isode-632/
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

Re: Inimitable Vaynerchuk meets inimitable Rogov

by Robert Reynolds » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:20 pm

Watching it now! Our Rogov seems to be amused at times by Gary V.'s energy and cut-ins. :lol:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:57 am

What a terrific clip.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Bob Hower

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:58 pm

Louisville, KY

by Bob Hower » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:43 am

This is a wonderful episode. You know it's so funny the impressions one forms about people from their profile pictures. With Rogov I look at his forum avatar photo and I think portly, slightly unapproachable, slightly pompous, professor. His spot-on, well articulated and informed, often amusing posts change this impression to a degree, but it lingers. Here I see him in an entirely different light: trim, humorous, completely approachable and friendly. Perhaps it's time for a new avatar photo?
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:40 am

Bob Hower wrote: Perhaps it's time for a new avatar photo?

My publisher, his contract photographer and I have a deal. This year a new set of photos for books, press releases and the like. My only condition is that I insist that I look not a day over 32 years of age! No fear, however, I shall also insist on looking like a 32 year old curmudgeon.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:28 pm

Well, there was some obvious staging going on to support Rogov's curmudgeonly prediliection for corks.

Crafty man that he is, he arranged for the rolling cork to just 'accidentally' roll across the table and affectionately nudge up to him as Vaynerchuk was babbling away---thus emphasizing the cork and distracting from the V-Man and putting the focus ever-so-subtly on Rogov.

Clever, clever. One might even say devious.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:27 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:
Bob Hower wrote: Perhaps it's time for a new avatar photo?

My publisher, his contract photographer and I have a deal. This year a new set of photos for books, press releases and the like. My only condition is that I insist that I look not a day over 32 years of age! No fear, however, I shall also insist on looking like a 32 year old curmudgeon.

Best
Rogov

You were not nearly as curmudgeonly as one might have expected. Falling down on the job are we?

I enjoyed it and I know so damn little about Kosher wines. Hell, I can't keep up with the hordes of wineries within 20 miles of me.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:18 am

Bob Hower wrote:This is a wonderful episode. You know it's so funny the impressions one forms about people from their profile pictures. With Rogov I look at his forum avatar photo and I think portly, slightly unapproachable, slightly pompous, professor. His spot-on, well articulated and informed, often amusing posts change this impression to a degree, but it lingers. Here I see him in an entirely different light: trim, humorous, completely approachable and friendly. Perhaps it's time for a new avatar photo?

Having come with Rogov from Strat's Pace, I've "known" him for some time, although our various attempts to meet in person have all been dashed, and so only now, after almost 5 years, have I actually heard his voice. And you know, even I was expecting him to be a bit more professorial - something like Broadbent meets sagely Rabbi, with a healthy dose of a particular rascally and beloved English/Literature teacher I had in high school. At any rate, what a delight at last to see Rogov in action, and getting some well-deserved exposure to American wine-lovers!
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:25 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:

Best
Rogov

Love it Rogov. Great to see you and to hear your voice and listen to your story. Love that accent and love how the Internet brings you right to my desktop. You don't look a day over 32! Still not sure what a curmudgeon is.

And you can sing, too!

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:46 pm

Sue Courtney wrote: You don't look a day over 32!

Sue.... Will you marry me?

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:01 pm