The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

The 1988 Clos Fourtet replaced ...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MichaelRedhill

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:42 am

Narbonne, France

The 1988 Clos Fourtet replaced ...

by MichaelRedhill » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:24 am

Some of you may recall a couple of weeks ago I posted a thread concerning a corked 1988 Clos Fourtet which the store was offering to replace (by mail -- I live four hours away from Bordeaux) with one of the three following offers: 1 Lynch Bages 1993, 1 Pontet Canet 1991, or 2 bottles of Reserve de la Contesse 1995.

With your aid, I selected the 2 bottles of 1995 Comtesse.

Well, they arrived today, but they were 2 bottles of 2005 Comtesse.

Did he rip the Anglo off, or will these drink as well as the 1995 in a few years? The tasting notes I can find don't impress me all that much ...

Michael
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: The 1988 Clos Fourtet replaced ...

by Dale Williams » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:10 am

Well, obviously if you were looking for mature claret to drink now or in near future, you're disappointed. But hard to say you were ripped off, as value of 1995 and 2005 are roughly the same. Personally, in US I'd be thrilled to get anything for a corked '88. I generally don't even try to return anything that is out of the distributor chain. I'd put away for a few years, but if you decide to open one, please let us know how it is.
no avatar
User

MichaelRedhill

Rank

Wine geek

Narbonne, France

by MichaelRedhill » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:19 am

Thanks Dale. This bottle sells in the 25 euro range down here, but I note the Vintages in Canada sells it for $200!! I should stay in France. In any case, the Clos Fourtert was 90, so I'm still out 40 euros, but as you say, it's better than nothing.

In any case, I'm going to hang on to it -- the 2005s in general in Pauillac are well regarded, but it seems Pichon-Longueville didn't have a great millisime. I'm going to cellar these for another five years and then see.
no avatar
User

MichaelRedhill

Rank

Wine geek

Narbonne, France

by MichaelRedhill » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:20 am

PS: one of RP's tasting notes says that the 2005 is "backwards". I've never known what that means. Is there a risk this wine will start playing the banjo on my front porch?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:37 am

As with many 2005s, the Comtesse is very structured & will take some time to drink well. I personally think you are better off with the 2005, since it is likely to have better provenance (hasn't been laying around for 10 extra years) & wine making is even better now than it was 10 years ago.

The '95 was higher priced (and thus looked like a better trade in) because of the age & limited supply factor - not because it's inherently a better wine.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:36 am

MichaelRedhill wrote:PS: one of RP's tasting notes says that the 2005 is "backwards". I've never known what that means. Is there a risk this wine will start playing the banjo on my front porch?

Backwards just means that it will need time. Generally used to indicate a wine that will be slower maturing than the norm; as people often use seconds as early drinkers, just a hint that cellaring is required.