The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 fine Loire Chenins, Pesquera 95, QPR Cahors

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: 2 fine Loire Chenins, Pesquera 95, QPR Cahors

by Tim York » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:57 am

Vouvray Le Haut-Lieu sec 2004 – Domaine Huet had all the usual qualities of focus, bright acidity, minerality and elegance but perhaps less “gras” and honeyed touches than in less difficult year; very good but less charming and complete than Chidaine’s 04 Montlouis Bournais, which I noted recently; 15.5/20+++.

I have read claims that Saumur “Brézé” – Clos Rougeard is one of France’s greatest white wines. This 1999, albeit very good, was not on than level but this may be a function of a less than stellar vintage. Colour was a brilliant yellow and the aromas were discreet but quite fresh and elegant with notes of exotic fruit, touches of apple and quince and the palate was long and elegant with good freshness and “gras” and quite lively acidity with its wood (which disconcerts when young) now fully integrated and only showing itself as a polished patina towards the finish; 16/20++.

Ribera de Duero Tinto Pesquera Crianza 1995 – Bodegas Alejandro Fernandez was full-bodied, smooth and velvety with good shape on the palate, ripe structure and length showing round ripe fruit and attractively rich aromas with a lot of sweet cherry and kirsch; the American oak ageing is now fully integrated. I have heard that the Pesquera brand is losing its lustre but this was very attractive if not the most subtle and complex of wines; 16/20+.

Cahors 2007 – Château Croze de Pys, Jean Roche (€4,80), made from Malbec 75%, Merlot 20% and Tannat 5%, represents remarkable QPR; at last year’s Cahors jamboree, I picked out the 2005 for its pure fruit and charm and the 2006 earned a Guide Hachette “Coup de Coeur” for similar qualities. This 2007 was somewhat sterner, more savoury, virile and typically Cahors than the 2005 with dark fruit, tar, liquorice and spice notes and marked tannins; I like this but it is not likely to be a crowd pleaser; maybe it will more resemble the 2005 after another year of ageing; 15/20.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: 2 fine Loire Chenins, Pesquera 95, QPR Cahors

by Redwinger » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:47 am

Tim York wrote:Ribera de Duero Tinto Pesquera Crianza 1995 – Bodegas Alejandro Fernandez was full-bodied, smooth and velvety with good shape on the palate, ripe structure and length showing round ripe fruit and attractively rich aromas with a lot of sweet cherry and kirsch; the American oak ageing is now fully integrated. I have heard that the Pesquera brand is losing its lustre but this was very attractive if not the most subtle and complex of wines; 16/20+.

Great notes as usual. I had the 1997 vintage of the above few months ago and it was joyous.

Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:35 am

Tim York wrote:Vouvray Le Haut-Lieu sec 2004 – Domaine Huet had all the usual qualities...but less charming and complete than Chidaine’s 04 Montlouis Bournais...

How about that. Good for Chidaine!

Do you think the Huet might have seemed less 'complete' because it will have a longer life than the Chidaine and has not yet fully sorted itself out?
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:23 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Tim York wrote:Vouvray Le Haut-Lieu sec 2004 – Domaine Huet had all the usual qualities...but less charming and complete than Chidaine’s 04 Montlouis Bournais...

How about that. Good for Chidaine!

Do you think the Huet might have seemed less 'complete' because it will have a longer life than the Chidaine and has not yet fully sorted itself out?

Possibly. But I wouldn't expect 2004 to be a vintage for the long haul even at Huet.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:28 am

Tim York wrote:Possibly. But I wouldn't expect 2004 to be a vintage for the long haul even at Huet.

Agreed. But of course 'long haul' is always relative when we're talking about Huet. I remember finding these Huet 04s very fine during 2006 and gaining quite a bit of composure compared to when they were released in 2005. Alas I don't have (much of) a cellar and don't drink in quantity so I haven't tasted them since.