The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1992 Charmes-Chambertin, A Rousseau

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

WTN: 1992 Charmes-Chambertin, A Rousseau

by Anders Källberg » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:37 pm

A roast of roe deer with porcini sauce for dinner called for something special to match it, so up from the cellar came a mature Bourgogne. I had some fears that it might start to show a bit too much age, but there was no need for that.

1992 Charmes-Chambertin, Grand Cru, A. Rousseau
The look of the wine was a good start - a classic light, brick red colour, Then the nose, aah, the nose, just soo charming and classic. A perfectly mature Bourgogne of very high class with loads of those amazingly, and indeed puzzlingly, charming smells of manure and game and even shit. Plus loads of that seductive character that makes me think of a slowly burning wood fire. One simply cannot smell this wine without involuntarily starting to smile. On the palate a lovely acidity is carrying the taste on its back all the way though until the moderate and slightly dry tannins meet at the end. A long, lingering aftertaste with those smoky aromas coming back in a most pleasant way. A Burgundy just like one hopes to find it, but sadly all to seldom does!

Rousseau,rs40.jpg

Cheers and have a fine Saturday,
Anders
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Anders Källberg on Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 1992 Charmes-Chambertin, A Rousseau

by Rahsaan » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:18 pm

Anders Källberg wrote:A roast of roe deer

Not being a big meat-eater, at first I thought this was supposed to mean deer eggs. Until google cleared that up.

What was the texture like on the wine? How thin/thick delicate/substantial?
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:21 pm

A lovely tasting note, Anders, thanking you. I could almost smell and taste it as I sat here reading your piece.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:16 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Anders Källberg wrote:A roast of roe deer

Not being a big meat-eater, at first I thought this was supposed to mean deer eggs. Until google cleared that up.

I hope I got I right (haven't checked by googling it, but my dictionary gave this translation). A small deer, sort of. And they are a pain in the ass over here, eating most things in our gardens that we don't want them to eat! :evil:

What was the texture like on the wine? How thin/thick delicate/substantial?

Not very thick at all, rather delicate and elegant, I'd say. There was a certain mouthfeel, but not so much that I would describe it as thick and chewable.

Glad you liked my note, David. After all, since English is not my mother tongue, I'm always a bit uncertain if I manage to convey my impression in a good way. In fact, it can be hard enough in Swedish...
/A
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:35 am

Never has shit sounded lovelier... :twisted: :mrgreen:
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:35 pm

Very nice note, on what sounds like a very nice wine. I always like to point out there is great Rousseau outside the big 3.