The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Plavac mali, Ribera del Duero

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

WTN: Plavac mali, Ribera del Duero

by Keith M » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:23 pm

2006 Dingač Pelješac [Plavac Mali] (Pelješac Peninsula, Dalmatian Coast, southwestern Croatia) cork closure, 11.5% - imported to USA by Blue Danube Wine Company, Los Altos Hills, California – appears pale cranberry clear, smell interesting from the get-go, some cranberry, but rustier, feels ancient, taste bright chipper cranberry tea, cherry, clean at first but then quickly rusty, earthy, dirty, notes from both the importer and retailer note the associations with gamay and zinfandel, and I must agree, juicy and refreshing and clean, but then packed into skins with a more powerful concentration with a bit of pucker, lightness yet intensity, interesting wine that is very different, I liked it, it did well with leftover chick pea and fingerling potato stew with romesco sauce as well as alone over the three days I had it, $13 was a good price

2006 JC Conde Delgado y Otros Ribera del Duero Vivir, Vivir [Tempranillo] (Ribera del Duero DO, Castilla y León, northern central Spain) cork closure, 13% - imported to USA by Aurelio Cabestrero Selection/Grapes of Spain, Lorton, Virginia – appears dark maroon, bit unctuous, smell heavy full nose, held back a bit, bit of dustiness, taste soil, juicy at first, delicious dry raspberry and soil, nicely reserved with little sugar if still forward, chalky soil finish, very pleasing, had a very interesting long-lasting finish which vaguely reminded me of something—after some time I realized it was a far less intense version of the aftertaste I had from eating tempranillo grapes last fall!, this wine was pretty simple, but I liked the way the fruit played in contrast to the dryness and soil, fun wine, would've been better with a meaty and simple dish, perhaps smoked kielbasa? I guess for $15 I wouldn't buy it again, but this bottle really was enjoyable and did the trick for me.
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Madrid, Spain

Re: WTN: Plavac mali, Ribera del Duero

by Victor de la Serna » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:34 pm

>"delicious dry raspberry and soil, nicely reserved with little sugar if still forward, chalky soil finish, very pleasing, had a very interesting long-lasting finish"

>"for $15 I wouldn't buy it again"

So, what would you buy for $15? Château Latour?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:00 pm

Victor de la Serna wrote:>"delicious dry raspberry and soil, nicely reserved with little sugar if still forward, chalky soil finish, very pleasing, had a very interesting long-lasting finish"

>"for $15 I wouldn't buy it again"

So, what would you buy for $15? Château Latour?

Valid point. And I don't want to speak for Keith because these are his notes.

But in my own judgements, I might say something similar for two main reasons.

1) There is still (thankfully, if not for much longer) a price category below $15. So something that is very attractive at $10 might become less attractive at $15.

2) More importantly, there is only so much time to drink all the wine out there. Especially when you only drink a few bottles per week. So some wines may be pleasing but just don't seem worth taking up my time given all the other things I could be drinking.

Along these lines, my own 'scoring system' is:

- Rush out and buy more
- Buy more if you have the chance
- Worth ordering off a restaurant list
- Drink at a party
- Avoid

Technically, I would buy the first three categories again. But there are big differences among them.
Last edited by Rahsaan on Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:52 pm

Well, I've never had Château Latour, so I can't speak to that. But for the general idea, I'd say Rahsaan's post covers the ground pretty well--in particular, the observation that a wine at $15 might be less compelling than would be the same wine at $10. I clearly liked the wine in the bottle, but didn't experience visions of consumer surplus triangles dancing in my head. If the wine had been $12, I would've been ecstatic, that's all . . .
no avatar
User

alex metags

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:55 pm

by alex metags » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:30 am

I tried an earlier vintage of the Dingač Pelješac a few years back and enjoyed its earthiness. If only wines like this could be found here in China...