The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Blanco Nieva Verdejo

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2006 Blanco Nieva Verdejo

by Paul B. » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:05 am

12.5% alc./vol. Intense banana-yellow hue with a green glint; a very heavy colour for a white wine that isn't old or oxidized. Tense, bright, minerally nose of green apple, some pineapple hints with lanolin and a twangy note hanging around. Powerfully crisp yet moderate acidity on the entry; very scintillating and fresh. Bone dry with a laser-sharp texture. Very much like a heavier Grüner Veltliner, albeit without the spice. Perfectly dry, clean, mild finish.

An excellent wine to have with seafood - and it was a perfect match with breaded and fried cod fillets.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2006 Blanco Nieva Verdejo

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:59 am

Verdejo, another grape variety/varietal that does not gather enough attention. Nice post Paul.
no avatar
User

Warren Edwardes

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:01 pm

London UK

by Warren Edwardes » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:57 pm

To me this one has more than a touch of SB to it. They have SB planted nearby and I understand use the same yeast so that's why.
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:29 pm

Warren Edwardes wrote:To me this one has more than a touch of SB to it. They have SB planted nearby and I understand use the same yeast so that's why.

Actually... no SB yeast, and Pie Franco is one of the least SB-like Ruedas around. Those Rueda verdejos that are reminiscent of SB owe that to the simple fact that, 99% of the time, these wines actually are made with up to 15% SB in the blend, as European regulations (and indeed Rueda DO regulations) for varietal wines allow.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:42 pm

Truth be told, I saw very little commonality between this Verdejo and any Sauv Blanc. I just didn't make such a connection in my mind. If anything, I thought it somewhat similar to a dense Grüner, albeit without any of the peppery spice of the latter.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Warren Edwardes

Rank

Ultra geek

London UK

by Warren Edwardes » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:53 pm

Victor de la Serna wrote:
Warren Edwardes wrote:To me this one has more than a touch of SB to it. They have SB planted nearby and I understand use the same yeast so that's why.

Actually... no SB yeast, and Pie Franco is one of the least SB-like Ruedas around. Those Rueda verdejos that are reminiscent of SB owe that to the simple fact that, 99% of the time, these wines actually are made with up to 15% SB in the blend, as European regulations (and indeed Rueda DO regulations) for varietal wines allow.

Obviously I am confusing this Verdejo with another one. Will recheck my notes.

Curious that I have found that Ruedas with SB declared are offered at a higher price than Verdejo no SB declared. Does this add perceived "categoria"?

Thread drift warning:

OK Jean Leon has been using international grapes for ages but I must say that I don't like the current trend in Spain of blending in international grapes when there is a such a choice of Spanish grapes available.

Of course there may be sound oenological reasons as no doubt in your case in Manchuela, Victor. :wink:
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:26 pm

I seem to remember posting on a Verdejo last year and noting a SB influence! Victor kindly replied that time too, love having him around!
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:32 pm

Warren Edwardes wrote:OK Jean Leon has been using international grapes for ages but I must say that I don't like the current trend in Spain of blending in international grapes when there is a such a choice of Spanish grapes available.

How many 'native' grapes are there among the 13 red varieties allowed in Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Warren? I'll tell you how many: zilch – and none of the current ones were there before 1750 or 1800. Specifically, grenache, mourvèdre, cinsault and counoise are all Spanish and syrah comes from Lyon's outskirts – as foreign viticulturally to CdP as riesling would be. So let's drop this senseless distinction between 'native' and 'non-native' varieties, OK? How many muscat or malvasia wines come from muscat's or malvasia's birthplaces? Why do we allow that but gripe about other varieties traveling? Grape varieties are either well adapted to a terroir or they're not. Saying that it was OK for them to travel from one part of the world to another 150 years ago but it isn't now is totally disingenuous and indeed meaningless. (I won't even go into the New World...)

BTW, Jean León began planting cabernet sauvignon in 1963. Vega Sicilia and Marqués de Riscal were planting cabernet sauvignon in 1860.
no avatar
User

Warren Edwardes

Rank

Ultra geek

London UK

by Warren Edwardes » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:30 pm

Ouch. :shock:

Obviously touched on a raw nerve there. :roll:

But good luck with your message.

Somehow I think you will find my prejudiced and unfair view quite widespread. Logic and reasoned argument do not help I am afraid.

You did not mention the New World but what is fine for Argentina and Chile (French - International grapes) is deemed surprising in Spanish wines.

And just this afternoon I overheard someone at an Argentine tasting say "Tempranillo! I did not know there was Tempranillo in Argentina?"

But that's just market prejudice. One needs deep pockets to overcome such prejudice. Especially in the midst (beginning?) of a very deep recession.

Best

Warren
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:08 pm

Warren Edwardes wrote:Obviously touched on a raw nerve there.

But good luck with your message.

Somehow I think you will find my prejudiced and unfair view quite widespread.

I forgot: thanks for your deeply informed views about viticulture in Manchuela. As fair and as unprejudiced as the rest.

I also appreciate how you've dismantled my arguments one by one. Impressive.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:18 pm

Warren - I fully agree with Victor. Tradition and history seems to always be defined by the time period the critic chooses to use.

Change is inevitable. Would you prefer that all Bordeaux include Carmenere?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:49 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Warren - I fully agree with Victor. Tradition and history seems to always be defined by the time period the critic chooses to use.

Change is inevitable. Would you prefer that all Bordeaux include Carmenere?

Warren's a traditionalist, David: he got upset when he found out that Airen was losing its prominence in Spain.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:52 pm

Hoke wrote:
Warren's a traditionalist, David: he got upset when he found out that Airen was losing its prominence in Spain.

Well who wouldn't? :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up