The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Chianti, Seghesios 1990, 1994, Terrabianca, Masi

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Chianti, Seghesios 1990, 1994, Terrabianca, Masi

by Bill Spohn » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:47 pm

Italian dinner notes

2006 Ch. St-Jean des Graves – of course we had to wet whistles while cooking, so popped a cork on one of these modest white Bordeaux. Fresh and with a fair bit of sauvignon.

1997 Fonterutoli Chianti Classico Riserva – excellent nose, traditional with some nice deep sweet fruit, slightly pale edges, still lots of tannin and acidity but smooth and long.

1997 Ricasoli Castello di Brolio Chianti Classico Riserva – nose very similar if with a bit more depth, and a bit more leathery, full mouth feel, good length, a classic Chianti that seemed still a little tight.

with rabbit and hazelnut terrine

1990 Terrabianca Campaccio Reserve – this sangiovese cabernet blend showed very well indeed. The nose was quite earthy at first, which played off the food nicely, and then became sweeter as it opened in the glass. Dark, deep and big, this wine (sadly my last bottle) was really hitting stride. Great match with:

wild mushroom lasagne with shaved truffles

1990 Seghesio Barolo La Villa – lovely colour, great nose with tar and flowers, still lots of tannin, excellent length .

1994 Seghesio Barolo La Villa – big wine with great concentration and length, and a much bigger hit of anise. Surprisingly close in quality to the 1990.

with wild venison in Port sauce

1995 Masi Recioto della Valpolicella Casa dei Ronchi - perfect cheese wine (unless you are one of those that believes only white wines suit cheese). Only slightly sweet, slightly warm nose, and a long soft slightly off dry finish, smooth in the mouth, with a big almost fuzzy mouth feel.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Re: WTN: Chianti, Seghesios 1990, 1994, Terrabianca, Masi

by Mark S » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:26 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
1990 Terrabianca Campaccio Reserve – this sangiovese cabernet blend showed very well indeed. The nose was quite earthy at first, which played off the food nicely, and then became sweeter as it opened in the glass. Dark, deep and big, this wine (sadly my last bottle) was really hitting stride. Great match with.

This was a nice year for Terrabianca, wasn't it? A bonus is that the oak integrates in these. 1999 was a vintage where this shined as well.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: WTN: Chianti, Seghesios 1990, 1994, Terrabianca, Masi

by Hoke » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:32 pm

If I'm correct---and I'm pretty sure that I am---the Fonterutoli and the Castello di Brolio shared the same winemaker, at least in part. I believe the Fonterutoli winemaker was doing some major consulting/winemaking with the Ricasoli's at that time (and subsequently created the Casalferro).

Pretty damned good, those 1997s.