The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1988 Beaucastel CdP

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Glasser

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:51 am

Maryland

WTN: 1988 Beaucastel CdP

by David Glasser » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:54 pm

This has been a favorite of Peggy's and mine - been drinking them for the last 15 years - and it is still showing nicely.

• 1988 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (3/1/2009)
    Cellared since release, cork is pristine and fill is within 1/4" of the cork. Dark red core, lightening with a little bricking at the rim. Nose is a little shy at first, but opens up within 30 minutes to show cherry, strawberry, leather, roast meat, earthy forest floor. No barnyard/bretty aromas. Medium body, fruit, leather and earthiness follow on the palate, nice balance, still a little tannin present, fruit intensity fades a bit on the back palate but a bit of sweet aged forest floorcomes in mid-palate and persists for a nice finish. Should hold a few more years at least. Excellent.

A nice match with grilled ribeyes, glad we've still got a few bottles left.
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

Re: WTN: 1988 Beaucastel CdP

by Jon Leifer » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:03 pm

Regrettably I have none of the 88 left but it was a lovely wine as I worked my way through a 6 pack..If not for the otherworldly 1989 and the 90, this wine wd have had a more prominent place in the sun
Jon
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

Re: WTN: 1988 Beaucastel CdP

by ChefJCarey » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:08 am

Had the '89 and the '90 - sadly, both long gone.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT