The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Hart's '07 Cabernet Franc (67%) - Merlot (33%)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

WTN: Hart's '07 Cabernet Franc (67%) - Merlot (33%)

by Dan Smothergill » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:49 am

Howie Hart and I live just near enough to visit occasionally and exchange bottles of home made wine. We celebrate the good and commiserate about the not-so-good. This one is especially good. Nancy and I opened it last night for a pear, fennel, and blue cheese salad from Andrea Immer that called for a red wine glaze. Honestly, I've rarely had such a good home made red. A subdued nose is herbaceous with a tad of pepper. In the mouth the feel is just right; neither too full nor too thin, probably an effect of the Merlot offsetting the Cabernet Franc. Tannins are apparent but tame, and the taste is an earthy vanilla with a bit of spice. The finish is short and dry. I had expected a more fruit-driven taste of cherries that is nearly absent though not missed. The earthiness provides an alternative structure every bit as good. It's a winner Howie. Congratulations.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Hart's '07 Cabernet Franc (67%) - Merlot (33%)

by Jenise » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:40 pm

He better bring some of that west with him next month. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:47 pm

Thanks Dan - Glad you liked it. 2007 was a pretty good year. And yes Jenise, this wine will be part of the assortment I'll be bringing, but it won't be next month - May (see Jo Ann's thead in Offlines). :wink:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Norman S

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:40 am

Northern Middle TN

by Norman S » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:12 pm

I am pleased to have the great opportunity to have this and 3 other wines from Howie's wine cellars too. Just received them today and am very honored. I will savor these delectable wines and am salivating for the correct time to taste this wonderful assortment. Thanks again Howie! You are a good gentleman (& Dude! :-))) ).