The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Michel Guignier Morgon Cuvé à L'ancienne

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Hower

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:58 pm

Louisville, KY

WTN: 2005 Michel Guignier Morgon Cuvé à L'ancienne

by Bob Hower » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:42 pm

I bought this in Hollywood when I was there on business recently for $17.50 at a little wine store called Venokado on Fountain Ave. very near where some friends of mine live, and packed it in my suitcase for the trip home, since it's so hard to get good Beaujolais here. Lots of Gamay strawberry on the nose right away even at a cool 50˚cellar temperature, and a bright clear rosy red color to the eye. Spicy sweet strawberry fruit on the palate followed by a wash of mouth watering acidic pleasure. You Gamay lovers should give this one a try. Pretty lovely. 13% abv.
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: WTN: 2005 Michel Guignier Morgon Cuvé à L'ancienne

by SteveEdmunds » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:04 pm

I'm curious, Bob; why is it difficult to get (good) Beaujolais in Louisville? I thought the availability of interesting bottles there was pretty high.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Bob Hower

Rank

Ultra geek

Louisville, KY

by Bob Hower » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:59 pm

I wish I knew Steve. In general I think Louisville has quite a good selection of wines to choose from, and a good number of wine stores each with something just a little different, but my experience is that anything other than the largest producers of Beaujolais are hard to find here. Whole Foods does the best job of finding more obscure things, but it's hit or miss even with them. My guess is that it just doesn't sell all that well here for some reason. Any ideas Robin? At least it gives me a good quest when I'm out of town.
no avatar
User

Bob Hower

Rank

Ultra geek

Louisville, KY

by Bob Hower » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:09 am

I should have mentioned Steve, that I went looking for some of your Gamay Noir at WF the other day and they were out. Send more!
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:52 am

I'll be opening a Morgon (from a large producer) later this week and will post my tasting note. I decided I was in the mood to have a Beaujolais Cru after several dull wines.
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:39 pm

Bob Hower wrote:I should have mentioned Steve, that I went looking for some of your Gamay Noir at WF the other day and they were out. Send more!

I strongly urge you to call Vintner Select in Louisville, and tell them you need them to get some! I need all the help I can get!
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Bob Hower

Rank

Ultra geek

Louisville, KY

by Bob Hower » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:24 pm

I'd be happy to, and I'll mention my need for ESJ to all the wine stores I purchase from. I've special ordered some of them from Robin's neighborhood store before, and WF carries your Bone Jolly Rosé, Gamay Noir, and Redneck 101 fairly consistently. The Rosé seems to be the most readily available, the rest of the line-up seems to be special order only for the most part.