The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Budget Bordeaux - Good and Really Bad (2000 vintage)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Budget Bordeaux - Good and Really Bad (2000 vintage)

by David M. Bueker » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:46 am

Our tasting group met last night with 11 wines served blind. The theme was eventually revealed as "Recession Reds", consisting of mostly inexpensive 2000 Bordeaux bottlings with one 2005 thrown in.

Comments are kept short - many of these wines do not even deserve a eulogy.

2005 Chateau Cheval Brun (St. Emilion) - the interloper & quite good. Lots of ripe (though a bit candied) fruit & a litle bit of structure. Drink now for fun.

2000 Clos De L'Oratoire (St. Emilion) - very nice, evolved fruit, balanced and very drinkable right now - excellent wine

2000 Chateau Cantenac (St. Emilion) - utter garbage, stewed fruit and nasty sewer scents, if I were the owner of one of the good Cantenacs (e.g. Brane Cantenac) I would sue to get this place to change its name

2000 Chateau Marjosse (Entre Deux Mers) - there had been rumblins that this was dead or dying, but this bottle was delicious with a great deal of similarity to the Oratoire if a little more exotic in its aromatics, very good wine for now

2000 Chateau Grand Bois (AOC not noted) - garbage time again, this is less offensive than the Cantenac, but it can still strip paint off of a battleship

2000 Chateau Les Nougueys (St. Emilion) - drinkable, and maybe even pleasant with a simple meal, but much better wine is available for the $14 this cost

2000 Chateau Potensac (Medoc) - orange rim, this is not right - cooked/stewed fruit, leather, not what it should be

2000 Chateau Borie La Mouline (Puisseguin St. Emilion) - unpleasant in a "gosh I hope we can leave this party soon" sort of way, no obvious flaw, but just not a single thing in the wine worth liking

2000 La Dame de Montrose (St. Estephe) - fruity, still tannic, evolving, but not quite there yet. very good, well made wine with a little more upside potential - this would be great with a steak

2000 Beaulieu Comtes de Tastes (Bordeaux Superieur) - fantastic wine, best of the night, tastes like a richer, younger version of the Oratoire. I could smell and drink a lot of this

2000 Chateau Sansonnet (Graves) - this one hte other hand is vinous spawn of satan, utterly horrid wine, in fact to call it wine is to insult horrid wine everywhere. we score on a 20 point scale & one of the guys gave it a 3. The color was good, and it was not cloudy, so there's 3 points.

So all in all an informative evening. I am glad to have the Dame de Montrose in the cellar & may look for the Beaulieu Comtes de Tastes and L'Oratoire in the future. I will be opening & checking the Potensac soon to see if it was a bottle problem. Of course my bottles came from the same importer and retailer, so who knows what I may find.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: Budget Bordeaux - Good and Really Bad (2000 vintage)

by Salil » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:40 pm

Yikes. Surprising to see so many really mediocre bottles from what I understand was a really excellent vintage.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:45 pm

a rising tide does not float all boats
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:18 pm

Indeed. Personally, I find unfamiliar St Emilion "Grand Cru" to be the ultimate crapshoot, except the house dice are loaded. I'd far rather try a striving Cotes de Castillon or Fronsac than a St Em I've never heard of. Sure, they can be good (where's Alex?), but lots of leaky boats even in good vintages. The wines I heard of seemed to do ok except the Potensac (hope that's an off bottle).
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:19 pm

PS the Sansonnet was a Graves? I've seen a St Emilion by that name (of course, it's pretty common in Bdx to have shared names)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:58 pm

Indeed it was a Graves.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:04 pm

My jaw dropped on the floor when I read your description of the Beaulieu. Here's my last comment on it: As for Parker's sleepers...well, not to bash the old feller because I do use his reviews in my buying decisions, but that "sleeper" thing has to be taken with a grain of salt. I've found a number of Parker's low-end reccos rather dicey, like the six bottles of 2000 Beaulieu Comte de Tastes I poured down the drain a few weeks ago--bought a case upon release of that "sleeper of the vintage" and never had a bottle of it (even the first bottle opened from that case shortly after purchase) that didn't taste like swampwater. The last bottle opened had an additional problem--rampant, nasty brett (I like some bretts in moderation, but this wasn't one of the good ones). All the other bottles were affected too. That was posted about a year ago--surely the wine didn't change THAT much.

Separately, I nominate your description of the Borie, "Unpleasant in a 'gosh I hope we can leave this party soon' kind of way" to the Tasting Note Hall of Fame. (Hmmm...that might make a good thread.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:14 pm

Jenise wrote:My jaw dropped on the floor when I read your description of the Beaulieu. Here's my last comment on it: As for Parker's sleepers...well, not to bash the old feller because I do use his reviews in my buying decisions, but that "sleeper" thing has to be taken with a grain of salt. I've found a number of Parker's low-end reccos rather dicey, like the six bottles of 2000 Beaulieu Comte de Tastes I poured down the drain a few weeks ago--bought a case upon release of that "sleeper of the vintage" and never had a bottle of it (even the first bottle opened from that case shortly after purchase) that didn't taste like swampwater. The last bottle opened had an additional problem--rampant, nasty brett (I like some bretts in moderation, but this wasn't one of the good ones). All the other bottles were affected too. That was posted about a year ago--surely the wine didn't change THAT much.

Separately, I nominate your description of the Borie, "Unpleasant in a 'gosh I hope we can leave this party soon' kind of way" to the Tasting Note Hall of Fame. (Hmmm...that might make a good thread.)

Cheap sleepers tend to be highly variable (see Dale's comment above as additional evidence), so I am not shocked. Also cheap sleepers tend to be imported by many and varied organizations with variable handling policies. In other words: your mileage may vary.

As for your other comment: thanks - I'll be here all week.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:12 pm

Differences in brett like that are usually attributable to warmth at some point. Seems to be plenty of anecdotal evidence that a mild brett infection can turn rampant if say a bottle sits at room temp in a store for a while.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:39 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Differences in brett like that are usually attributable to warmth at some point. Seems to be plenty of anecdotal evidence that a mild brett infection can turn rampant if say a bottle sits at room temp in a store for a while.

I realize, but only the bottles opened later were bretty. Early on, they just seemed 'wrong', nasty in a vinyl kind of way but without the usual vinegar of VA. That was probably brett too, just not one I recognized. Thing is, the bottles didn't sit in a store for awhile--all were purchased from the Wine Ex in Tustin upon release and stored in my cellar ever after.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:48 pm

Probably happened before the wine got to Tustin.
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:57 am

I was wondering about the Dame de Montrose as I have 2 bottles of it. About how many more years upside do you figure?
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:18 am

I think the Dame de Montrose will reward another year of cellaring & then drink well for quite a while after that.
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:51 am

... vinous spawn of satan ...

This really made me laugh. David, you made my day. :lol:

Also, none of those stinkers are sitting in my collection. Whew!!

-- Clark
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:57 pm

Giggles 'r us!
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:53 pm

Who needs numbers? Nice tasting notes David.

Salute
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:51 pm

i guess it goes to show you never can tell. We've stocked the Beaulieu Comtes de Tastes for years now, and I cannot remember the last time we had a bottle come back bad. On the other hand, the stuff is not immortal--my understanding is that Beaulieu makes these pretty much for drinking sooner rather than later. Parker's review from 2006 recommends "next 5-6 years."