The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: John Duval Plexus 2006

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: John Duval Plexus 2006

by Jay Labrador » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:51 am

In order of percentage: Syrah, Grenache, Mourvedre. Very dark. Oak and mint on the nose. Surprisingly dry with a good acidity. Coffee and tobacco smoke. Fruit is a bit subdued with a slightly green, woody streak. Still a bit tight. Needs time but should eventually turn out very good.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: John Duval Plexus 2006

by David M. Bueker » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:57 am

Sounds properly structured.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:06 pm

Jay, I've been aware of the existence of Plexus but didn't realize it was a GSM blend vs. straight syrah. I've often wondered if they compare at all to the Granges that made John famous. With the other grapes involved, I guess not.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:05 am

Jenise wrote:Jay, I've been aware of the existence of Plexus but didn't realize it was a GSM blend vs. straight syrah. I've often wondered if they compare at all to the Granges that made John famous. With the other grapes involved, I guess not.

Yup. In the Penfolds universe, the Plexus would be the Bin 138. I've had Plexus and other John Duval wines about four times and Grange about 5 times, all of them from vintages made by John Duval, and from what I remember, I prefer Grange.
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:10 am

The Entity is the straight shiraz. John's wine have been getting lots of great press locally which is no surprise given his background. I have been keen to try some but so far have yet to actually get around to tracking them down.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:12 pm

Thanks for the note. I haven't tried the high end bottling but I think the Plexus and Entity are very good wines for the price.

Jason
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:52 pm

I had a small pour of the 2006 Plexus at a Fayetteville Wine Society meeting with the focus on Australian wines. I really liked it but thought at twice the cost of the Torbreck "Juveniles" is wasn't necessary to cough up the extra bucks so purchased two bottles of the Juveniles.(rather than one bottle of Plexus.) I thought the Plexus had more presence, elegance and potential for improvement than the Juveniles.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:34 pm

Jenise wrote:Jay, I've been aware of the existence of Plexus but didn't realize it was a GSM blend vs. straight syrah. I've often wondered if they compare at all to the Granges that made John famous. With the other grapes involved, I guess not.

The "Eligo" is supposed to be Duval's Grange-equal wine. Jay, any experiences with that one?
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:37 am

Sorry, have not tried the Eligo. I didn't even know he had a Grange equivalent although it doesn't surprise me.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:44 pm

Does anyone have experience with the 2003 vintage of this wine? I was given a bottle as a gift and it sits in the cellar, waiting. I searched through the forum and did not find any references to the 03.

Thanks.
Cheers!
Mike