The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A nice Marselan (Cab Sauv x Grenache)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: A nice Marselan (Cab Sauv x Grenache)

by Saina » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:55 pm

Can Camps Pedradura 2004 from Massís del Garraf, Penedès; it cost c.10€ in Barcelona; 13,5% abv.

This is made from Marselan, a cross of Cabernet Sauvignon and Grenache that was developed in France in the early '60s (the name derives from Marseille). This seems like an unlikely pair to cross, but this wine and the 2003 worked really well! The scent does show some of Cab Sauv's slightly greenish/herbaceous and earthy character, but it is also as sweet and ripe as one would expect Grenache to be. The palate is deep and refreshingly tannic, sweetly fruity with bright acidity. It seems to show the best sides of both grapes yet their personalities don't clash. Clean, refreshing aftertaste. For 10€, a great bargain. I wonder if anyone else makes a varietal Marselan? Is this wine an anomaly for being so good or does it really work in a Mediterranean climate?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: A nice Marselan (Cab Sauv x Grenache)

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:26 pm

Not sure Brazil qualifies yet as "anyone else" :) but many wineries here jumped on the Marselan bandwagon starting in 1999. Clones were brought from the south of France and sold very cheap. Since there's not much of a tradition to maintain, wineries were willing to experiment. I have two of them and tried a few others when visiting the wine regions of Brazil over the turn of the year.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:20 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote: I wonder if anyone else makes a varietal Marselan? Is this wine an anomaly for being so good or does it really work in a Mediterranean climate?

There are several French brands; I've had a couple.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:30 pm

Oswaldo, Peter, what did you think of the Marselans you had? Were they as honestly enjoyable as this Pedradura was or were they more curiosities? Having only encountered two Marselans and both from the same property, I am curious about the grape!
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:54 pm

My three notes, at the respective vineyards, roughly translated:

2006 Dom Cândido Marselan Vale dos Vinhedos 13.0%
No oak. Simple cherry aroma, tastes more acid than sweet. A wine without complexity, without conceivable interest. Dom Candido himself, one of the three Valduga brothers, came over to chat with us and told us how he was the first to plant Marselan in Brazil (2006 was his third vintage). This varietal, a cross between cabernet sauvignon and grenache, was developed in the south of France (near Marseilles, hence the name) over thirty years of reserach. According to Dom Cândido, in 1999 an importer offered him vines at R$2 each (less than a Dollar), but only if he bought 5,000. Since the first vintage was well received, other local wineries began to make wine with this varietal.

2007 Larentis Marselan Reserva Especial Vale dos Vinhedos 13.0%
Spends between 3 and 4 months in oak. More interesting aroma of leather and sous bois. Of all the wines tasted at this winery, this was the only one to exhibit balance between acidity and sweetness. The most interesting wine in their lineup.

2005 Bettú Marselan Ipê 14.1%
Made with outside grapes supplied by a grower in Ipê, near Vacaria. Almost no SO2 used. Aromas of cherry compote and olives. Initially a little too sweet, almost a syrup, with a short finish. Gains considerably with air, acquiring new aromas, like anis and tar. Fascinating evolution in the glass over the course of a few hours. Of the few Marselans I've tried, certainly my favorite.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:44 pm

Think I'd rather go for a Cab Sauv - Grenache blend. Which makes me wonder, are there any good examples of such a blend out there? (Sorry for the hi-jack!)
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:45 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:Oswaldo, Peter, what did you think of the Marselans you had? Were they as honestly enjoyable as this Pedradura was or were they more curiosities?

Enjoyable definitely. My note from the first one I had is on my winelabels.org site and reads

Marselan
Compagnons du Vignoble l'Aude
France
Marselan is a new grape variety from France, the result of a 1961 crossing of Cabernet Sauvignon and Grenache. The intention was to create a heavy cropping variety with large grapes at a time when quantity was wanted in southern France. The resulting vine had many good points, including resistance to parasites, suitability for machine harvesting, adaptability to different soil types and affinity with the Mediteranean climate. But it produced small grapes, wasn't a high yielder and so remained in the nursery.

But fashions changed and when local growers wanted a quality variety there was renewed interest in Marselan and this 2002 wine is claimed to be the first commercial bottling.

It was enjoyably soft and brambly and definitely has potential. I'd like to taste it with a little more bottle age.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:00 am

Ryan Maderak wrote:Think I'd rather go for a Cab Sauv - Grenache blend. Which makes me wonder, are there any good examples of such a blend out there? (Sorry for the hi-jack!)

To the best of my knowledge, there is one French appellation that calls for a blend of Bordeaux and Rhone grapes: Cabardès. It's a small area just north of Carcassonne. I've only ever tasted one, Chateau Jouclary, which is made with Merlot, Grenache, and Syrah; the appellation would permit a Cabernet/Grenache blend--I don't know whether one actually exists!

Hardy's makes a cab/grenace rosé called "The Riddle." I've never seen it much less tasted it.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:13 am

Dave Erickson wrote:
Ryan Maderak wrote:Think I'd rather go for a Cab Sauv - Grenache blend. Which makes me wonder, are there any good examples of such a blend out there? (Sorry for the hi-jack!)

To the best of my knowledge, there is one French appellation that calls for a blend of Bordeaux and Rhone grapes: Cabardès. It's a small area just north of Carcassonne. I've only ever tasted one, Chateau Jouclary, which is made with Merlot, Grenache, and Syrah; the appellation would permit a Cabernet/Grenache blend--I don't know whether one actually exists!

Hardy's makes a cab/grenace rosé called "The Riddle." I've never seen it much less tasted it.

Thanks for the info! I figured the best bet would be Australian. Perhaps I'll just have to do some digging. It seems like such a natural thing to at least try that I'd be surprised if nobody (especially in Australia) has done it.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)