The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

The Tasting Note Hall of Fame is now open

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

The Tasting Note Hall of Fame is now open

by Jenise » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:38 pm

In a thread about 2000 vintage cheap Bordeauxs, David Bueker described a Chateau Borie La Mouline as "unpleasant in a 'gosh I hope we can leave this party soon' sort of way", a delightfully evocative pan that negates the need for any further description. Since there isn't a Tasting Note Hall of Fame, I decided to start one and hereby induct David for this splendid insult.

Post your nominations here.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: The Tasting Note Hall of Fame is now open

by Rahsaan » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:14 pm

I think it's an understatement to say that this note on the 93 Overnoy Arbois has become a legend in its own time:

http://www.wineloverspage.com/user_subm ... 85085.html
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:25 pm

Rahsaan wrote:I think it's an understatement to say that this note on the 93 Overnoy Arbois has become a legend in its own time:

:shock: Game, set, match.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:32 pm

I don't believe I'll even be able to drink wine for several days after reading that or on the other hand, maybe I'll have double, no triple, my consumption.. And the Oscar goes to....
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:36 pm

You know the more I think about it, I am not sure that what the tasting note hall of fame should be for. It's too convoluted (not too mention polluted), almost like a player amassing 400 home runs by hitting 23 a year or so for 18 years.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:56 pm

I do like the following note written, I believe, by Ben Giliberti:

"It was a great wine in its time, but like the premature death of a popular actor whose time has passed, its graceful exit is what might be called a good career move."
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:57 pm

Great idea! It would also be very easy to set up a page on WLP where agreed-upon nominees could be archived for posterity. :)
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:59 am

Rahsaan wrote:I think it's an understatement to say that this note on the 93 Overnoy Arbois has become a legend in its own time:

I remember that night well because it was my first WLDG offline. I was one of the first to smell the wine but bit my tongue and did not say anything because I did not know the people at the table and did not want to offend anyone. But in my head I was thinking, these guys must be bat-shit stone crazy to like wine like this!!! Stuart called over the owner of the restaurant (a Frenchman) and made him smell the wine. Philippe looked like he had just been tear gassed.

Good times, good times with the Bay Area gang.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:07 pm

From my friend, Larry Meehan:

"NV Toffoli Prosecco ($10-12)

I had just finished shopping at Trader Joe's for my weekly pantry
maintenance, when I saw a fifty-ish man in a floral print shirt, Dockers
and old loafers hop up on the back of his cart. He proceeded to ride
along the gentle slope right to his car. Following his example (and much
to three year old Michael's delight) I did the same. Just that bit of
breeze and fun on a hot, muggy day made me feel refreshed. The fellow
shot me a knowing smile and drove off. It was a brief encounter, but it
still makes me happy. I should do that more often.

Happy summer, friends.
LM"

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:19 pm

In the most barnyardy way possible I adored the 93 Overnoy tasting note but I have to say that I tasted a pristine 99 of the same on Sunday and it was absolutely divine. Not that this wine needs defending, but Dressner was playing no gag: this was the eloquent downside of little or no SO2.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:20 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:You know the more I think about it, I am not sure that what the tasting note hall of fame should be for. It's too convoluted (not too mention polluted), almost like a player amassing 400 home runs by hitting 23 a year or so for 18 years.

It should be about the note, not the poster I think. One brilliant quip in 20 years would be enough to get anyone in.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:27 pm

Jenise wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:You know the more I think about it, I am not sure that what the tasting note hall of fame should be for. It's too convoluted (not too mention polluted), almost like a player amassing 400 home runs by hitting 23 a year or so for 18 years.

It should be about the note, not the poster I think. One brilliant quip in 20 years would be enough to get anyone in.

No I mean the note is too long and convoluted. Sure Stuart is convoluted, but that wasn't my point. :wink:

Obviously it's not a big deal to me anyway. This is all about fun and games.

I will have to dig back in the internet archives for some of my original Loring notes.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:41 pm

so I got out the internet shovel & dug up two descriptors I used a while ago that I was rather proud of. If I was to self-nominate anything I might go with these two from the same night back in 2003.

1990 Montevertine Le Pergole Torte Riserva
This wine is a whole, not the sum of its parts. To analyze it too much would be to destroy what was so beautiful about it.

2000 Loring Wine Company Garys’ Vineyard Pinot Noir
A big, happy, slobber all over your face, grab your leg and (whoops...got a bit carried away there) puppy dog. You just have to love a wine that brings its own enthusiasm.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:01 pm

Robin, I have a collection of tasting notes I've enjoyed over the years. If you want a copy for the WLP, I'll either post it here or on the new page if you set it up.

Here's a small sample of what's on offer; I still like Stuart's very much:

Deep, cedary, developing.
Michael Broadbent on 1966 Ch. Pichon-Lalande.

Despite the reports of it going down hill, it is clearly enjoying the ride.
Michael Broadbent on 1934 Lafite.

… distilled dew and honey with the fragrance of all the fresh wild flowers of the field greeting the dawn.
André Simon, on Château d’Yquem, quoted in Wine Quotations, edited by Helen Exley, 1994.

Enough poop to make you look at the bottom of your shoes.
Stuart Yaniger on a nicely bretted Rhône.

Best, Bob
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:41 pm

Although I'm not especially bought into the idea (Hall of fame is a bigger thing in the US than here) - definitely go for it. Anything that provokes interest and thought about how we express our opinions on wines is all a positive IMO.

There are clearly great differences in opinion about what makes a good note. I also like Broadbent's notes, but they're often brief in the extreme, assume a certain level of knowledge and can seem both insubstantial, yet direct and succinct.

Others push the boat towards the "swooping paving slabs" style of tasting notes, which risk ridicule, but also show a more philosophical or lateral side to the expression of opinion. Getting us to think beyond simple flavours.

Mine are, frankly, dull. Structured, but without flair or inspiration, nor with the incisiveness of Broadbent or others. They suit me, so I won't be changing much though!

So if we're to recognise that one person's masterpiece is another's piffle, what is the entry criteria?

An idea:
- Every month, nominations put forward and either we vote, or a carefully selected judge weighs up the arguments and chooses the one note to make it into the Hall of Fame (ideally with a little editorial comment as to why it's interesting).

It's all a bit of harmless fun, but what would be interesting for me, is the discussion about what makes a note useful, fun, interesting, etc. for the readers - which hopefully provides a stimulus for others to write more WTN's

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:42 pm

"The vinous equivalent of Liquid Plumber."
- Robert Parker's description of Tepusquet Cabernet Sauvignon

-Paul W.

P.S. - I had the misfortune to taste that wine, and he was being charitable.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:52 pm

The one I enjoyed writing the most:

I admit that I have a special place in my heart for the people of the town of Gilroy, the self-proclaimed "Garlic capitol of the world", where 92% of the residents are involved in raising garlic and whose annual garlic festival is a humorous but
delightful highlight of the culinary life of California. The good
people of Gilroy have gone too far however, and the wine released by the "Rapazzini Winery" in Gilroy mayvery well qualify for the title of the world's worst wine.

Known as "Chateau de Garlic", the label gives no hint of which (if any at all) grapes were used. What is obvious, however, is that the wine has been so heavily flavored with liquid garlic that it is pungent andoffensive. The winery suggests that the wine should be served with chicken, steaks and Italian pasta. They also suggest that thewine be served ice cold. My guess is that the icy coldness isintended to deaden the taste buds so you will not notice just how terrible this stuff really is. The label states that the wine "should be shared with a friend. Personally, I cannot help but think that the best bet for this wine is to give it as a gift to an enemy.

As out-and-out "killer lines". This wine is drinkable. The question is - just who would want to drink it?

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:17 pm

For positive notes, this is an all time favorite of mine from Rogov:

Return from India, Madeira, 1846 The civilized life is an ongoing dream of things that are splendid and noble and good. At eleven this evening, on watching this wine being opened and then tasting it, I had such an encounter. With powerful and concentrated flavors and aromas of toasted almonds, sugared violets, spring flowers, all with light hints of citrus peel, chocolate, tobacco and leather, all with remarkable balance between full bodied sweetness and natural acidity, and with flavors so deep but yet so subtle that every tiny sip enchants and woos you again. Perhaps what was most astonishing was that after the flavors had finally vanished from the palate, we were left with that marvelous feeling of having been refreshed and yes, even renewed. Not so much a wine to write notes about as it is one to inspire poets and lovers. Because no mere numerical rating can do justice to this wine, it shall thus remain without a score. I shall, however point out that I now have a new model for perfection. (Tasted 12 September 1995)

For negative notes, anything Rogov has given a score below 60.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:41 pm

Ryan
Plenty to admire there! A good 'un IMO
regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:46 pm

OK, many years ago on a wine forum far, far, away from WLDG, Bernie Roth used the descriptor "post-coital masculine sweat" regarding the 1996 Araujo Cabernet.

'Winger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:16 pm

Any one written by Chris Coad.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:33 pm

Redwinger wrote:OK, many years ago on a wine forum far, far, away from WLDG, Bernie Roth used the descriptor "post-coital masculine sweat" regarding the 1996 Araujo Cabernet.

'Winger

Funny, I remember a note by Theresa Regli-Iverson with that same descriptor.
Florida Jim posted a great note a couple years back, about a Riesling from Alsace that had a particularly salutary effect on his wife: Jim, can you post it again?
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:38 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:Florida Jim posted a great note a couple years back, about a Riesling from Alsace that had a particularly salutary effect on his wife: Jim, can you post it again?

I thought it was a Weil QbA.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:39 pm

I am pretty sure it was the 2006 Robert Weil Trocken...a quick search should do the trick.
Next