The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

The Tasting Note Hall of Fame is now open

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MichaelB

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:32 pm

Sierra southmost, California

Re: The Tasting Note Hall of Fame is now open

by MichaelB » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:53 am

When this thread opened, the posts were all about negative reviews, including Jenise’s thread header by David Bueker. David’s first real contribution was a couple of upbeat notes. But it cannot be denied that the guy has a way with pithy putdowns—I nominate the following from a recent post re 2000 Chateau Cantenac (St. Emilion): "if I were the owner of one of the good Cantenacs (e.g. Brane Cantenac) I would sue to get this place to change its name."
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:48 pm

Jenise wrote:
Ian Sutton wrote:Jenise
:? :( Not sure what I've said wrong here?

regards

Ian

Ian, you didn't say anything wrong and I erred in including you in my plea for lightness without re-reading your post, the one Otto misinterpreted and cited as making him "also feel a bit disconcerted with the idea".

Please accept my apology.

Jenise
"no worries" but thanks anyway.
regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:19 pm

On a cheery note:

However, this bottle was not marked 'poison,' so Alice ventured to taste it, and finding it very nice, (it had, in fact, a sort of mixed flavour of cherry-tart, custard, pine-apple, roast turkey, toffee, and hot buttered toast,) she very soon finished it off.
Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland.
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:33 pm

Bravo, Bob! Huzzah!!!
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:22 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Despite the reports of it going down hill, it is clearly enjoying the ride.
Michael Broadbent on 1934 Lafite.

Michael Broadbent's elegant zingers are priceless, aren't they? I remember laughing over one--it's in a book I have, but I'd never be able to find it--wherein he described a wine as not being half as interesting as the proprietor's wife. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:56 pm

Bob Ross wrote:On a cheery note:

However, this bottle was not marked 'poison,' so Alice ventured to taste it, and finding it very nice, (it had, in fact, a sort of mixed flavour of cherry-tart, custard, pine-apple, roast turkey, toffee, and hot buttered toast,) she very soon finished it off.

And you'll be pleased to know that Heston Blumenthal (he of the Fat Duck) has just recreated this very drink in his latest programme.
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:05 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:
Bob Ross wrote:On a cheery note:

And you'll be pleased to know that Heston Blumenthal (he of the Fat Duck) has just recreated this very drink in his latest programme.

Funny seeing Heston's name pop up again this morning. We were just talking about him last night. I am keen to try the place next time I get to the UK. I had thought it was impossible however my son's godfather was saying last night he can get all of us in given they have a mutual acquaintance. May see if the gods can get us a following breeze around June this year.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:19 pm

Probably easier to get reservations now:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... wD96OOVGG1
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:29 pm

Damn, I knew all that wizardry and hocus pocus was too good to be true. I did see the most amazing special he did recently called the Christmas Dinner for 6 friends. You have to respect the lengths he goes too, so a few people suffer in his pursuit for prefection, it is a small price to pay.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:34 pm

I think it would be pretty interesting having Stuart as a guest on Gary V’s (Wine Library) Thunder Show.

People write TN for two reason, (1) for themselves so that in the future one can look back and “re-live” or remember an excellent wine or not so good wine that one has experienced (this could be done in secret code) and (2) write a tasting note so that others (who might not be familiar with the wine in question) can read it and also come to understand what one (the writer of the tasting note) has experienced when drinking it. Some wine lovers are very talented and creative when it comes to writing TN. I fall into the first type of TN takers.

Let ‘s not forget some of Tom H’s Bloody pulpit.

Salute
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:14 pm

I just love it here.

There are a few folks who can turn any thread into a pissing match. :mrgreen: