The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Vatan Chateau du Hureau "Tuffe"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: 2005 Vatan Chateau du Hureau "Tuffe"

by Brian K Miller » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:06 pm

I continue my voyage along the Loire Valley-Saumur-Champigny this time.
This wine proves the adage "Give it air" for a young wine!

Dark ruby in color, somewhat translucent. At first, the nose is rather reticent, not showing much. The palate at first is quite shy, also, with good red currant fruit and almost a meaty edge-and the herbal character of Cab Franc really shows through.

With air (a hour or so), the nose appears-definitely a mix of berry, cassis, and earth. The palate deepens and becomes much richer as well, with deeper cassis and currant fruit, some raspberry notes, the slight bitterness of herbs, and a very smooth, round mouth feel. Not very much green pepper here-unlike the Chinon from last night. Not particularly tannic, and the wine does not appear to be structured for long aging, but still a nice richness of flavors. Not quite Breton (still my favorite Loire winery), but this wine was richer and more integrated than the Friday, Monday and Tuesday competitors. 90 points.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN: 2005 Vatan Chateau du Hureau "Tuffe"

by Tim York » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:46 pm

In my experience, Saumur-Champigny tends to be fuller and more tannic than Chinon or Bourgueil, with certain exceptions; Alliet springs to mind. Philippe Vatan http://www.domaine-hureau.fr/uk/wines.htm is a good producer, who uses no wood at all, and who manages to achieve good body, roundness and purity of fruit. I think that Tuffe which I cannot recall having drunk is his basic red cuvée which probably accounts for low tannins; his top cuvée, Lisagathe, is quite robust.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:50 pm

Thanks, Tim. I will look for the other cuvee.

My biggest irritation is I did not write down where I found this wine! I remember it being rather inexpensive, so....I hope/think it's Paul Marcuse in Oakland so I can buy another bottle!

I have to admit to a love of the lightness and balance of French Cab Franc. I would probably rather drink these wines over many (not all...I am no purist) California Cabs-which are often three times the price!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:51 pm

Tim York wrote:Philippe Vatan http://www.domaine-hureau.fr/uk/wines.htm is a good producer, who uses no wood at all...

Even on Lisagathe?
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:00 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Tim York wrote:Philippe Vatan http://www.domaine-hureau.fr/uk/wines.htm is a good producer, who uses no wood at all...

Even on Lisagathe?

That's what he told me.
Tim York