The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bandol at home, Chinon at the museum

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Bandol at home, Chinon at the museum

by Dale Williams » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:08 pm

Tuesday I was taking some college kids to the city,so limited myself to a half a glass with dinner. Betsy had rehearsals all day and made a slowcooker version of cassoulet. Went looking for a half bottle, closest in spirit was the 2004 "Le Galantin" Bandol. Slightly reductive, a hint of rubber. Plum and prune fruit, a touch of manure. Some tannins, but not as much as some Bandols. Doesn't really grab me, but ok. Retasted at 1 AM and again following evening. The rubber goes away. Solid but not exciting, there's still close half of the 375 left. B-

Wednesday a generous friend took myself, Betsy, and another friend to dinner at The Modern (in MOMA). A fine meal- beautifully paced, attentive service, inventive and intriguing food well executed. We were by the window, with great view of the snow covered sculpture garden (with the Henry Moores, Rodins, Matisses, Calders, etc!). With had a four course prix fixe - I had chicken/foie gras veloute, dorade, and stuffed rabbit loin; Betsy courses of mackerel , sable with edamame and vegetables, and a riff on pot au feu. Everything was tasty and well done, and supplemented by some great amuse bouche/lagniappes (my fave was a cucumber panna cotta with salmon "soup", Betsy was a dessert one with gelato and candied cilantro).

I was put in my least favorite position, ordering the wine while someone else pays. Left to my own devices, I would have gone for some of the interesting whites that were own list. But host prefers red, so I was looking for some something with good acidity for the varied tastes ahead. I considered some funkier things like a Slovenian Refosco or a Zweigelt, but for our Francophilic host I went with the 2006 Charles Joguet "Cuvée Terroir" Chinon. I think everyone was rather pleased. A hint of freshly stepped on cow patty, but it is an accent that fades with air. No real green notes here, fleshy red fruits backed by good acids. Light tannins, good length. This is a Chinon which could please passionate Loireheads and skeptics who fear greenness all at once. Mineral and a tiny hint of herbs on the long finish. Not the ultimate in complexity, but very satisfying for a dinner wine. B++

Thanks to Charles for a great evening.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Bandol at home, Chinon at the museum

by Brian K Miller » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:15 pm

The Chinon sounds lovely!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:20 pm

Yup, all the Loire-heads are nodding in agreement! Dale, nice wine lucky you.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:28 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I was put in my least favorite position, ordering the wine while someone else pays 

Especially tricky when the situation is not casual enough to get a ballpark price range from the payer.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:34 pm

Chinon at the Museum...wasn't that a movie?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:14 am

Great note on the chinon! A hint of freshly stepped on cow patty is up there with the best.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.