The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: 2002 Blanc de Lynch-Bages and 2006 Pacalet Julienas

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTNs: 2002 Blanc de Lynch-Bages and 2006 Pacalet Julienas

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:24 am

2002 Blanc de Lynch-Bages Pauillac 12.5% (front label) 13.0% (back label)
From 375ml. Loved a 375ml of this a few months ago so I bought six more. Interesting aromas of vanilla, anis, and coconut flan. Tart and lemony mouth feel, rather disjointed. With time, it only grows more disjointed and weird. Possibly a little damaged. Disappointing.

2006 Christophe Pacalet Julienas 12.5%
Simple nose of sour cherry and a touch of caramel. Sweetish, with a short, abrupt finish. Mildly astringent tannins. With food and air this stabilizes and begins to taste balanced, with nothing more than simple berry fruit, but fresh and pleasingly tart. On night two, nothing new, just good, solid, refreshing Beaujolais. Serious and better than most, but no match for a good Gang of 5.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTNs: 2002 Blanc de Lynch-Bages and 2006 Pacalet Julienas

by David M. Bueker » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:07 am

Interesting comments on the Pacalet (which I do not know), mostly because of your reference ot the Gang of Five. I'm actually a bigger fan of other producers (Roillette, Brun, Tete, Diochon, Vissoux) than I am of the 5.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:09 am

Speaking of the Gang of 5, Christophe is Marcel Lapierre's nephew, is he not? And the wines are in the same general (carbonic maceration, low SO2) style? Although I guess he has a ways to go before posing a threat to Lapierre.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:22 am

Rahsaan wrote:Speaking of the Gang of 5, Christophe is Marcel Lapierre's nephew, is he not? And the wines are in the same general (carbonic maceration, low SO2) style? Although I guess he has a ways to go before posing a threat to Lapierre.

Wasn't aware of that, only that he was the uncle of Philippe Pacalet...

I believe pretty much all Beaujolais are made using carbonic maceration.

Obviously it takes more than low S02 to make those magic smells come out of the bottle neck.

David, I respect the producers you mentioned (don't know Roilette and Tete), just have never encountered the "magic" there that I found with Thevenet and Guy Breton.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:36 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Wasn't aware of that, only that he was the uncle of Philippe Pacalet...

Seems like a big family!

I believe pretty much all Beaujolais are made using carbonic maceration.

As far as I know, Coudert/Roilette, Desvignes, and the 'serious' Jadot wines don't use carbonic. Tete has a semi-carbonic (which may also be going on at Lapierre). There are probably others in the sturdier style as well.