The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Ridge Lytton Springs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 2003 Ridge Lytton Springs

by David M. Bueker » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:09 am

2003 Ridge Lytton Springs - USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley (3/5/2009)
Very odd showing for this wine - lots of macerated raspberry fruit, but also a pretty good shot of VA. I had a hard time getting past it to drink the wine. Probably a bad bottle, as I have never run into this with other vintages of Lytton.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

Re: WTN: 2003 Ridge Lytton Springs

by geo t. » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:03 am

Hi David. Just had this one again last summer whilst visiting the daughter in Colorado. Never have run into the VA issue you describe, so I'd agree that it's an off bottle. Here are my impressions from July:

2003 Ridge Lytton Springs Dry Creek Valley, 76% Zinfandel, 18% Petite Sirah, 6% Carignane, $33.99, 14.3% alc.: Showing good, dark color, this is much as I remember it from when we first tried it; it’s rich, smooth, delicious and all about “Draper perfume” at its best, with lovely ripe raspberry, black raspberry and very well integrated oak. A note of pepper comes out with extended air (still drinking well 18 hours after being opened), adding interest and complexity. The wine is structured for several years of aging and development, but is so lush and voluptuous right out of the bottle, that I wouldn’t counsel against opening one tonight. Is this the last of the classic Ridge Lytton Springs?

Cheers,

geo
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:10 am

Now that's my kind of TN Geo, it has all the vitals, plus a good description. Please keep it up.

Sorry about the bad bottle David.

Cheers, Carl
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:20 am

Carl Eppig wrote:Now that's my kind of TN Geo, it has all the vitals, plus a good description. Please keep it up.

Cheers, Carl

Will do, Carl, thanks for the kind words.

:!: :?: :arrow: :D
Nunquam Spuemus