The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A Pair of 2006 Yarra Valley Chardonnays

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

WTN: A Pair of 2006 Yarra Valley Chardonnays

by David Lole » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:49 am

Courtesy of Boccaccio Cellars, I've just received a couple of cases of 2006 Chardonnay. A sample bottle of the 2006 Coldstream Hills Reserve, wholeheartedly recommended by the store owner for me to assess (at the newly "elevated price tag"), alongside one of my favourite's, the 2006 Cape Mentelle and a case of the 2006 Hoddles Creek.

Janet and I opened a bottle each of the Yarra Valley Chard's last night to accompany some delightfully tasty Chicken satay skewers. Unfortunately both were suffering from excessive reductive characters on the nose with the Coldstream also badly affected on the palate. We did manage to enjoy a few glasses of the Hoddles Creek Estate wine once the bulk of the sulphur blew off.

Below are the notes I've just written, 24 hours after both bottles were opened.

Hoddles Creek Estate 2006 Chardonnay AUS$16

13.2% A/V Screwcap

Very pale straw and starbright. Juvenile appearance for a wine approaching its third year. Delicate, refined nose of grapefruit, ripe pear, white nectarine, a touch of cream, a subtle but most complimentary contribution from smoky/mealy oak and a whiff of struck match. Similarly-etched palate holding a tightly-bound structure, with excellent "yet to uncoil" white stone fruits, underripe figs and green melon, bright mineral acids providing wonderful vivacity and freshness, excellent grip from a well-delineated oak tannin regime on a very compact, extremely dry and elegant but long crisp finish. A wine with few pretentions, displaying clever wine-making and decidedly underworked. Drink 2010 - 2014. 90+ points. Excellent quality, even better value for money! Far better tonight than night one and I'll leave some in the fridge to reassess tomorrow night.

Coldstream Hills Reserve Chardonnay 2006 AUS$48

14.0% A/V Screwcap

Slightly more clarity than the Hoddles Creek but with an almost identical very youthful hue. Another wine holding a distinctively subtle but complex array of nuance - a composite of subtle mealy, reductive worked barrel characters combined with restrained citrus- and stone-fruit, excellent delineation with smoothly integrated but mouth-puckering acidity and quality biscuity/smoky oak. Excellent finish, albeit the heat from the higher alcohol makes its presence felt. Qualitatively, I cannot justify the 200% price hike compared to the Hoddles Creek. 90 points from me here and drink over the next five years but only after closely monitoring for excessive reduction and aerating for the necessary period to arrest the problem.

Conclusion - so glad I bought a case of the HCE!
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: A Pair of 2006 Yarra Valley Chardonnays

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:15 pm

I really appreciate your chardonnay TNs David. Partially `cos we will never see these wines here so I can read about what I am missing!!
I came across Giaconda (?) but at $78. I might be the only person in this area who has heard of Mount Baker!!
I have to wonder how much of the higher-end juice is exported? Guess a ready market at home but I did read on AusForum that many buy more riesling than chardonnay.

Cheers Bob.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:37 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:I really appreciate your chardonnay TNs David. Partially `cos we will never see these wines here so I can read about what I am missing!!
I came across Giaconda (?) but at $78. I might be the only person in this area who has heard of Mount Baker!!
I have to wonder how much of the higher-end juice is exported? Guess a ready market at home but I did read on AusForum that many buy more riesling than chardonnay.

Cheers Bob.

That's a good price for the Giaconda ....what vintage?
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:28 pm

David Lole wrote:Qualitatively, I cannot justify the 200% price hike compared to the Hoddles Creek.

Thanks for the notes David. I regret not visiting Hoddles Creek when I had the chance to go to their cellar door in the Yarra a couple of years ago; sounds a really nice Chardonnay.
That comment mirrors up my thoughts on Coldstream Hills wines - I visited them when I was in Yarra and found the wines to all be very clean and well made, but quite overpriced with nothing really outstanding to justify the price tags being asked even at the cellar door (which was exorbitant considering the prices we'd encountered at a lot of other places in the Yarra).
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:36 am

David asks about the Giacondo......That's a good price for the Giaconda ....what vintage?

David, it is the `05 Nantua Valley with SC. I really feel I might have to try one (wink).Is it drinking already?
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:39 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:David asks about the Giacondo......That's a good price for the Giaconda ....what vintage?

David, it is the `05 Nantua Valley with SC. I really feel I might have to try one (wink).Is it drinking already?

I'm a bit confused, Bob. Giaconda make a "Nantua 'Les Deux' Chardonnay" which is a blend of Chardonnay and Roussanne, somewhat of a second string wine which sold for AUS$45 (= US$32.50) and a review (Aug 2006) from Cam Wheeler (someone I know and trust) is below to guide you. I was referring to Giaconda's Estate Chardonnay, a totally different beast to the Nantua.

The Nantua ‘Les Deux’ Chardonnay 2005 is comprised of 93% Chardonnay and 7% Roussanne. The nose has elements of stonefruits, peach, apple and roasted nuts to it. The palate has an interesting texture to it, but I also found some bitterness that caused disruption to the line and the focus. I’ve never really had much affection for previous vintages of this wine and my mind wasn’t changed by this. At $45 a bottle, it isn’t for me. 87/100 - Cameron Wheeler. http://www.camwheeler.com/wine/2006/giaconda-mid-year-new-releases/
Last edited by David Lole on Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:42 pm

OK, I just checked. Nantua Vineyard, $74 Cdn.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:52 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:OK, I just checked. Nantua Vineyard, $74 Cdn.

Would try and find something else for your money, Bob.
Cheers,

David