The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Spy Valley Pinot Noir, Marlborough, NZ

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

WTN: 2006 Spy Valley Pinot Noir, Marlborough, NZ

by Anders Källberg » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:40 pm

Next wine in my quest to cover the New Zeeland Pinot noir wines that are available here in Sweden. Lucky for me, the selection is not too bad, so I still have some way to go. Tonight's wine, to a dinner of duck breasts with porcini risotto and Brussel sprouts I opened:
2006 Spy Valley Pinot Noir, Marlborough

A rather typical colour for a your Pinot. red/purplish and medium deep.
Charming nose with a lot of pure Pinot fruit (aka pinosity). Also some toasted notes from new wood, but not overly much. A light animal touch in the background.
Fresh and juicy on the palate. Refreshing and charming and with a good intensity. Moderate tannins and a fruity and peppery finish. A really charming wine. Not great nor with a lot of complexity, but for SEK 189 (EUR 16.20, USD 20.50) I'd say it is quite a good deal. Pleasantly moderate alcohol too, only 13. 5% abv.

Spy Valley,rs30.jpg

I hope you are having a nice Saturday/Sunday
Anders
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: 2006 Spy Valley Pinot Noir, Marlborough, NZ

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:53 pm

Thanks for the note, that sounds very likeable. I also appreciate the technical information disclosed on the back of the label - wish everyone would do that - while objecting to producers enclosing their totally biased and untrustworthy tasting notes - wish every producer would stop doing that. :lol:
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:18 am

Thanks, Oswaldo. Regarding the information on the back label - could someone explain to me what a "slightly visceral bouquet" means?
/A
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:45 am

Anders Källberg wrote:Thanks, Oswaldo. Regarding the information on the back label - could someone explain to me what a "slightly visceral bouquet" means?
/A

Precisely my point!
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.