The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Charvin and Vatan (not that one)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Charvin and Vatan (not that one)

by Dale Williams » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:21 pm

With leftover cassoulet and broccoli, the 2001 Charvin "Le Poutet" Cotes du Rhone.Warm red fruits, tannins have all dropped off, a little herb. This seems just a little tired, probably 8 is pushing this past intentions, but it's a nice typical Southern Rhone, if not compelling. B-

Betsy had all day rehearsals, so my turn to cook Friday. It was warm and I considered grilling, but we're having roof done and I decided to stay inside. So picked up some halibut which I poached in olive oil with oregano, garlic, and mint; served with snow peas. Wine was the 2007 Andre Vatan "Les Charmes" Sancerre. You're not going to mistake for Edmond Vatan's Clos de Neore, but this is a pretty solid bottle of Sancerre. Fresh grapefruit and a little orange zest, some chalk meets limestone mineral notes. Racy acidity, fresh, though not especially long. Decent deal for the $10 plus shipping and vig I paid on WB, maybe I'll add one more (they had a bunch of this!). B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.