The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

SFChron: HirschVnyd

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

by TomHill » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:17 pm

Nicely done article (as usual) by JonBonne in today's SFChron on DavidHirsch's extreme SonomaCoast vnyd. Looks awfully cold & wet to me.
Tom

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: SFChron: HirschVnyd

by John Treder » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:58 pm

You've been in the neighborhood once or twice, Tom. Take an afternoon and head down the Russian River past Forestville, Rio Nido, Guerneville, Monte Rio, Duncans Mills, to Jenner, then turn north along the coast. Fort Ross is the southernmost colony of the Russian expansion in the early 19th century. It's a really beautiful area, even when it's foggy. Or maybe especially then, because everything becomes a mystery.
The cold water coming down from Alaska makes this coast unlike anything else I've seen in the world. It's cold and damp but never snows, and when the sun shines (plenty often enough to ripen grapes, obviously) it's crystalline and verdant. It's one of my favorite places to visit, but I'd rather live in Santa Rosa. Or even Santa Clara, though there are far too many people here.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

Re: SFChron: HirschVnyd

by geo t. » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:14 am

Excellent article, Tom; thanks for the heads-up. We've had several Hirsch Vineyard Pinot Noirs over the years, especially those from Flowers in the mid-late '90s, and they were always very impressive.

Cheers,

geo
Nunquam Spuemus