The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '02 Bourgogne & '00 Pomerol

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: '02 Bourgogne & '00 Pomerol

by Dale Williams » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:45 am

With a porterhouse , grilled squash, and braised napa cabbage, the 2000 Ch. Clos Rene (Pomerol). I know most serious 2000s are rather closed now, but thought as Rene is on lesser side maybe it would show well. Not showing a lot, red plums and a bit of cassis, hint of licorine. Low acid, not a lot on finish, a rather bland and unassuming Merlot. Maybe just an awkward stage, but not very impressive right now. B-/C+

Sunday Betsy prepped some vegetables (yellow and green squash, Japanese eggplant) while I marinated some pork chops in black vinegar, soy sauce, rice wine, and garlic; then everything went on grill. The wine was the 2002 Michel Lafarge Bourgogne. This is still young, but it's beginning to develop pleasant secondary characteristics. Sweet black cherry fruit is edged with a fun hint of sour cherry, good acids, light tannins. Plenty of structure for this Bourgogne to last a few more years. Little notes of smoke, earth, mushrooms. Lo and behold, the bottle is empty! B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.