The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Cribbage and Italian Wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Cribbage and Italian Wine

by Bill Spohn » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:53 am

Afternoon late lunch and cribbage tournament notes.

2004 Champelou Le Portail Vouvray – a hint of sulphur and wax in the nose, then some floral elements. Well balanced with tasty acidity coming in almost too late.

2004 Dom. de la Charbonniere CNduP Blanc – lots of citrus in the nose, bright wine and fairly well balanced, but ultimately, for me, uninteresting.

1993 Terrabanca Campaccio – browing edges and very mature nose, but still kicking with earthiness and a mellow mid palate. Pleasant, but nowhere near as good as the 1990 Reserve we had recently.

1998 Macchiole (95% sangio, 5% merlot – going by memory here). Nice ripish nose, ver decent fruit and a long finish that was quite smooth.

2001 Macchiole – obviously younger nose with slightly fresher fruit, though a bit less complexity, over all very nice and probably the superior wine. My host’s secondary impression of vinous lassitude was traced to his inadvertent adulteration of this wine with the 1993 when topping up, his inattention no doubt induced by a nasty cribbage defeat at the hands of a lady card shark.

1994 Taurino Patriglione – made with dried grapes, this also had a quite ripe nose, was quite dark and showed some cocoa in the nose. A very nice smooth cheese wine.

My early luck at cribbage was followed by a thrashing at the hands of said female shark. A rematch is in order! Very pleasant afternoon – until it started seriously snowing and the designated driver declared herself a non-snow capable driver.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN: Cribbage and Italian Wine

by Ian Sutton » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:14 am

Bill
Top game crib and IIRC generator of the phrases level pegging and streets ahead. Did you manage to find the elusive 19 hand?

We even had a crib league, plus cup (singles & doubles) tournament going at the social club of the 1st company I worked for. After a while you'd just look at a hand and say (e.g.) "that looks like 14" without totting it up - and invariably we'd get it right.

If ever you tire of it, try "suicide crib". Everyone plays to lose and it's just as challenging, with plenty of 5's and pairs getting dumped into the box. A fun variant.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:45 am

Bill,
Nice sounding lot of wines, and cribbage to boot! That happens to be one of my favorite card games, so perhaps on my (mythical) next visit we can arrange some cribbage amidst the tippling.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:47 am

Ian Sutton wrote:Bill
If ever you tire of it, try "suicide crib". Everyone plays to lose and it's just as challenging, with plenty of 5's and pairs getting dumped into the box. A fun variant.

Sort of like playing lowball - goes against the grain though.

Crib is a great winter (and more sedate summer) game to play while sipping. In the summer, bocce is the game to play, though.

Mark - bring it on!