The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Interesting Wine Weekend

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Interesting Wine Weekend

by Brian K Miller » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:08 am

Tasted a lot of wine this weekend. Thank good ness for half glasses and tasting pourings.

North Yuba? North Yuba, you say? 1996 Renaissance Proprietary Red Sierra Foothills 61% Cab, 25% Merlot, etc. A similar cepage to Cain Concept, another mountain wine I enjoyed recently. At 2,000 feet in an appellation I have never heard of :? But, this wine was a major discovery. Dagon, one of the partners at Terroir SF, said it was one of the first California cabernet blends in a while that has made him go "wow." Definitely showing aged character (more so than the Mayacamas or the GdlT last weekend) with a lot of layers of secondary and tertiary flavors. Lip-smacking acidity. Good dried currant and cherry flavors. Leather, tobacco, dried herbs, very savory, etc-all the goodness. At only 12.6% abv, this wine does not show any heat. I would say drink this now, though-it is fully mature and may be on the edge. 93+ points. Fantastic value, too, at $45 from the winery.

2006 Michel Sarrazin Givry "Sous la Roche" At Backroom Wines in Napa. My tasting partner Scott was not sure about this one, but I quite enjoyed the somewhat bizarre melange of earthy, savory, unique flavors. Not sure it was brett, though. There is some good pinot fruit here, with a lightish mouth feel. Yum. 88 points.

2007 Chermette "Vielles Vignes" Beaujolais. From vineyards in three communes, hence the simple "Beaujolais" designation. This is a killer Beaujolais, with outstandingly fresh black and redberry fruit, good acidity, etc. BUT, the earth and minerals provide a wonderful floor of interesting other flavors for the wine. Not a simple quaffer, imo. Widely available in good wine shops, this is a killer wine for $17.

2002 Hopper Creek Merlot Yountville, Napa Valley. Perhaps, just perhaps, too much oak, and it may even be American oak????...but, we still definitely enjoyed this wine nonetheless. Why? Because it was just so fresh, even at 6 years old! There was bracing acidity, good bright cherry fruit, some herbal elements that somehow worked with this combination of dilly-oak. Bravo. 87 points.

2005 La Source de Rualt Saumur-Champigny. Extremely soft wine at first-absolutely no tannins. Very light in color, as well. At first, showed quite soft and almost simple-a perfect spring day slurper (which is what it was being used for). However, I enjoyed the last glass the most-nice herbs and pepper began showing to add more complexity. 84 points

2001 Rocca di Montegrossi Chianti Classico. I think A.G. Ferrari, a local Bay Area chain of Italian delis, can make quite good selections. They probably don't have more than 50 bottles to choose from, but... This was a fantastic Chianti with tomato and sausage pasta. Classic flavors of cherry fruit with that captivating acidic tang. A simple Chianti Classico, so showed quite nice age, with good leather and tobacco notes. What I keep going back to is that delicious tang. I doubt I paid more than $20 for this! 92, given the QPR and the classic typicite.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Interesting Wine Weekend

by Dale Williams » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:51 pm

Nice notes, thanks

Brian K Miller wrote:2007 Chermette "Vielles Vignes" Beaujolais. .

This is the Chermette/Vissoux Traditionelle? If so, very good wine for the money($15 locally).
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:17 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Nice notes, thanks

This is the Chermette/Vissoux Traditionelle? If so, very good wine for the money($15 locally).

Yep, Dale. I think the official Domain name is Vassoux or something like that.

$15? I would pay the extra $2-3 for shipping across the United States :)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:24 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:

Yep, Dale. I think the official Domain name is Vassoux or something like that.

$15? I would pay the extra $2-3 for shipping across the United States :)

It was $13 here but now it's all gone and I only bought one bottle. Too slow!
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:10 pm

Dale: Have you ever had the Fleurie wine from this producer? I have one bottle! :wink:
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:57 pm

Brian,
Chermette (Domaine du Vissoux) makes I believe 2 Fleuries. I buy the "Poncie" Fleurie every time I see it. There's another one (Garents I believe) that never seems to be in NY market. Just a great producer for my tastes.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:40 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Brian,
Chermette (Domaine du Vissoux) makes I believe 2 Fleuries. I buy the "Poncie" Fleurie every time I see it. There's another one (Garents I believe) that never seems to be in NY market. Just a great producer for my tastes.

Yep...It's the Garents.

I was really impressed Saturday afternoon when I tasted the Vielles Vignes Beajolais. Maybe I will open the Garents this week.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:34 pm

Dale, isn't there a separate "Vielles Vignes" bottling from the "Cuvée Traditionelle"? I seem to recall running into a bottle labeled as such the last time I was in Chambers St. but my memory may be playing tricks with me.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:45 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Dale, isn't there a separate "Vielles Vignes" bottling from the "Cuvée Traditionelle"?

Maybe. Although for what it is worth, my bottle of Cuvee Traditionelle also says "Beaujolais Vieilles Vignes."
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:35 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Mark Lipton wrote:Dale, isn't there a separate "Vielles Vignes" bottling from the "Cuvée Traditionelle"?

Maybe. Although for what it is worth, my bottle of Cuvee Traditionelle also says "Beaujolais Vieilles Vignes."

Yep. That's what I recall (vaguely).
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:37 am

On a related note, a friend of mine visited Renaissance. He thought the wines were good but found the place somewhat "creepy" in a culty-way. :mrgreen: He says there are members of the group wandering around the grounds-either meditating, or in a daze. :?

Still...great wine.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:32 am

Brian K Miller wrote:On a related note, a friend of mine visited Renaissance. He thought the wines were good but found the place somewhat "creepy" in a culty-way. :mrgreen: He says there are members of the group wandering around the grounds-either meditating, or in a daze. :?

Still...great wine.

http://www.rickross.com/reference/fof/fof15.html

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:00 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:On a related note, a friend of mine visited Renaissance. He thought the wines were good but found the place somewhat "creepy" in a culty-way. :mrgreen: He says there are members of the group wandering around the grounds-either meditating, or in a daze. :?

Still...great wine.

http://www.rickross.com/reference/fof/fof15.html

Mark Lipton

Fascinating, Mark. My friend said that he felt the winery had been taken over by "the Russian Mob" and he spoke of a winery tour leader he called "Svetlana"- an icy blue-eyed blond, along with two somewhat intimidating male "assistants." He noted that you were very carefully instructed to exactly follow the tour leader (she led the way in a golf cart).

Gosh, though...the Cab blend was delicious. :wink:
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:47 pm

I had one experience with Renaissance. My note is below. Prior to that I had never heard of them. I may be recalling this wrong, but I think they don't release the wine for some time after bottling.

1986 Renaissance Cabernet Sauvignon (USA, California, Sierra Foothills, North Yuba)
Dense, deep, old school Cabernet. I would not have guessed this was California Cab if served blind, it comes of more like a classic styled rustic right bank Bordeaux. Gritty oaky tannins with a long acidic finish, bright chewy fruit. This beefy wine begs for hearty food. It comes off younger than it's age, but I wouldn't push it too much further. I don't think it's tannins will resolve into the fruit any more, so it remains a little unbalanced, but quite good especially for the region it comes from. I wasn't aware that a Sierra Foothills Cab could live for 20 years.
B