The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Novy Syrah Rosella'sVnyd '06...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Novy Syrah Rosella'sVnyd '06...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:38 am

My Siduri/Novy winter holds hit the doorstep late last week and after listening to all these squeaky/whiney voices in my living room..."Try me..No, try me...NoNoNo, I'm the one to try", I broke down and cracked:
1. Novy Syrah Rosella'sVnyd/SantaLuciaHighlands (14.2%) 2006: Very dark/black color; some toasty/charred/pencilly/oak very strong blackberry/black cherry/Syrah bit herbal/dusty slight Rhonish/roasted/smokey wonderful nose; tart very rich/lush strong blackberry/black cherry/boysenberry/Syrah some herbal/coffee some pencilly/toasty/oak bit Rhonish/pungent some tannic flavor; very long tart/rich/lush licorice/herbal blackberry/black cherry/Syrah some toasty/pencilly/oak bit tannic finish; needs another yr and will go out 5-8 yrs easily; speaks loudly of SLH Syrah w/ the somewhat herbal character; a terrific Syrah at a great price. $24.50
1. The Novy Syrahs, though not always as profound and complex as some in Calif, are consistently some of the best Syrahs being made...and at very fair prices. They always speak of their origins and they're all different amongst the various vnyds.
I often find some Syrah taste like they're made by a Pinot producer...like the Dehlinger and Radio-Coteaus. They bear a strong stylistic resemblance to the outstanding Pinots those producers craft. Originally, I thought the same of the Novy Syrahs (followed 'em from the very start I did)...they seemed like a variation on Adam's Pinot style. But over the yrs as Adam has tweaked his winemnaking technique (I'm presuming), they have taken on their very own style....distinct from his Pinots. Though they do speak loudly of their vnyd sources, they also speak of Adam's winemaking style as well...his Novy winemaking style. Wonderful/wonderful Syrahs that seldom disappoint.
Tom
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: WTN: Novy Syrah Rosella'sVnyd '06...(short/boring)

by Dave R » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:33 pm

Thanks for the great note. Novy is one of the few CA Syrahs I buy year-in and year-out. So far I have not had one that I did not like. And what you said about the evolution of the style is spot on.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.