The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Polar Opposites (A-F Gros, Volker Estate)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Polar Opposites (A-F Gros, Volker Estate)

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:38 pm

Gourmet burgers for dinner last night with my folks. We had two reds that came from exactly opposite sides ofh te spectrum:

2005 A-F Gros Bourgogne
This is from the Gros domaine based in Pommard (Anne-Francoise), and it reminded me of nothing so much as a Truchot wine. The purity & lighter than normal body but still full flavor just conveyed essence of Burgundy. I could drink this all night long.

2005 Volker Eisele Family Estate 'Terzetto'
From the dark as night color, to the blueberry milkshake flavors, this was about as far from Burgundy as you can get. It did a good job hiding the alcohol, and it was rather attention getting, but clearly not my favorite style of wine. It worked with the burgers though.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

CMMiller

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri May 19, 2006 8:22 pm

California

Re: WTN: Polar Opposites (A-F Gros, Volker Estate)

by CMMiller » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:27 pm

David M. Bueker wrote: ...rather attention getting, but clearly not my favorite style of wine. It worked with the burgers though.

I haven't had this vintage, but the 2001 (by my notes) was not really "blueberry milkshake" in style. In any case, your tasting shows the fallacy of the claim that "these kinds of wines don't work with food". They are excellent with hamburgers, for much the same reasons as ketchup.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Polar Opposites (A-F Gros, Volker Estate)

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:32 pm

I actually think the ketchup sweetness, along with the cheese and caramelized onions is what made it work.

If the burger had been more basic I think the wine would have totally overwhelmed the food.
Decisions are made by those who show up