The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

RhoneRangers...Who's Going???

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

RhoneRangers...Who's Going???

by TomHill » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:36 pm

I plan to be out there in less than two weeks for it. Easy to identify...look for the red spitoon.
This year, they've expanded the event to include two seminars on the Sat afternoon before. One on Cool Climate Syrah and another on Blending of Rhone Varietals. Both are led by JonBonne and should be very edukashunal. I'll be in the audience to stir things up a bit, of course. They've just recently finalized the participants in these seminars.
Details at:

RhoneRangersProgram

Tom
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: RhoneRangers...Who's Going???

by Carl Eppig » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:47 pm

Looks like a great event. Be sure to give us full report Tom. Love that organization.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:29 pm

TomHill wrote:I plan to be out there in less than two weeks for it. Easy to identify...look for the red spitoon.
This year, they've expanded the event to include two seminars on the Sat afternoon before. One on Cool Climate Syrah and another on Blending of Rhone Varietals. Both are led by JonBonne and should be very edukashunal. I'll be in the audience to stir things up a bit, of course. They've just recently finalized the participants in these seminars.
Details at:

RhoneRangersProgram

Tom

Tom, speaking of the red spittoon. I purchased one just like yours several years ago (Thanks for the impetus) and have often thought that I would make two small holes in the neck of the spittoon just below the opening. This would enable me to put a chain through the holes, and allow the spittoon to rest comfortable against my chest. All I would need to do to spit is to lower my head and expectorate into the container. Since the container has a flat bottom, it would (or should) sit comfortably and not be tipping the contents onto my shirt all tasting long. What do you think of the idea? Living here in Ky where a LOT of people utilize smokeless tobacco, I might be onto something I could make $$ on as well! :)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

What Do I Think??????

by TomHill » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:01 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Tom, speaking of the red spittoon. I purchased one just like yours several years ago (Thanks for the impetus) and have often thought that I would make two small holes in the neck of the spittoon just below the opening. This would enable me to put a chain through the holes, and allow the spittoon to rest comfortable against my chest. All I would need to do to spit is to lower my head and expectorate into the container. Since the container has a flat bottom, it would (or should) sit comfortably and not be tipping the contents onto my shirt all tasting long. What do you think of the idea? Living here in Ky where a LOT of people utilize smokeless tobacco, I might be onto something I could make $$ on as well! :)

What do Ithink, Bob???? I think you're way overthinking the problem is what I'm thinking.
Those guys at large tastings with their spitoons strapped around their necks look pretty dorky. Whilst the guys who carry a classy-looking red spitoon in their one hand and lift it to their lips when they need to spit are way-cool. Sometimes it's a very
fine line betwixt dorky and cool that it takes a LosAlamos guy to identify.
Don't do it, Bob!!!! :)
Actually, MitchTallen's mom, who's an artist of some repute up in Ohio, painted my visage on one of those spitoons and
Mitch gifted me with it. That is way/way cool to have your own spitoon w/ your image on it. Alas, the paint she used was
not alcohol resistant and the image started to dissolve. So now it's a non-working spitoon for display purposes only.
Actually, I thought it would be a neat idea to buy a bunch of those spitoons (available from Camp-Moor for those of you interested), get them imprinted w/ the Aspen Food & Wine name, and peddle them up at the...sniff...hoity-toity Aspen Food & Wine Festival in June. It'd make those AmericanExpress folks livid, I'm certain.
Tom
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:56 pm

I don’t know about having a portable “john” hanging from your neck.

Salute
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

What New To Try....

by TomHill » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:26 pm

Gone thru the list of names I didn't know and these came up as (maybe) worth trying. Any advice, yea or nay, more than welcome.
1. Prospect772: Some familar faces here. Ron Pieretti and Jeff Cohn, of Rosenblum fame. Making wines from their vnyd up in CalaverasCnty.
2. RotieCllrs: Some unknown folks from up in WallaWalla/WashState. Very classy-looking label that looks very much like a CoteRotie I know.
3. SansLiege: Winemaker is Curt?? Making wines from PasoRobles and SantaBarbara grapes. Very ManfredKrankl look-alike label.
4. StageLeftCllrs: inemaker is RichWilliams. Using PasoRobles grapes.
5. StarkWines: ChristianStark making wines up in Geyserville from DryCreek and Amador grapes.

Any suggestions here?
1. Feel in the mood for a rant. As I browsed thru a bunch of unfamilar wine web sites, I was struck by the number of wines using cutsey/ManfredKrankl-inspired names. Often, the name has only a weak connection to the wine. Always some cute story behind the name and the label. Often you have to dig deeper to find out what's in the wine. Names like TheWoodenMaiden, FlashInThePan, TheBigGripper....yadda yadda yadda. It gets a bit tiresome to ferret out what the wine is. End of rant.
Tom
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:13 pm

You call that a rant? :P
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:07 pm

Had hoped to go this year, but we're headed out of the country shortly thereafter and the shekels are being saved.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child