The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Viva Italia 2000 and a special sticky

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ruth B

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:32 am

Alberta Canada

WTN: Viva Italia 2000 and a special sticky

by Ruth B » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:29 pm

It was pizza night in Perryvale on the weekend as we ignored the frigid weather and decided to have fun with friends over a casual dinner.

All of the reds are vintage 2000

Sassoalloro (Jacopo Biondi Santi)
This Sangiovese based wine smelled old world to me, with leather and tobacco, nice berry notes. It still carries structure and good mouth feel and I expect it would age easily a few more years.
Guado al Tasso (Antinori)
This screams new world style (but I liked it anyway :)), with a very fruit forward cherry and berry nose, with hints of vanilla bean and coffee. Well balanced, I would not keep it much longer as it was terrific, but is easing towards a softness that might diminish the power of the wine.
Tommasi Viticoltori Amarone
This did not carry classic raisin aromas but some nice plum and spice on the nose. It is dark and full bodied as you would expect, and has lots of life left. It was a bit much for the pizza but great with the roasted veg and mild sausage.

Paired with Stacy's spectacular home-made pizza and my soft polenta with roasted Italian sausage, peppers, sweet onion and eggplant.

For dessert a terrific 1988 Boscarelli Famille which has very limited release and was a lovely treat. It smelled strongly of hazelnuts and in the mouth was as rich as a nut pie. It had a hint of maple and more walnuts than hazelnuts in the mouth. Dark gold in colour and viscous as syrup it had just enough acidity. Nice with my home made gelato!
Ruth
Just North of Nowhere
Alberta Canada