The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Predominantly St. Laurent

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Predominantly St. Laurent

by Saina » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:02 pm

I was kindly invited to a tasting of Austrian reds centered on St. Laurent, but with a couple other interspersed wines of interest.

We started with a blind fizz that was only partly Austrian: R&R Rosè Brut NV ( label - 12% abv; 8g/l acidity; 2g/l sugar; 36 months ageing) which was a collaboration between Christian Reiterer from West-Steiermark and Sepp Reiterer from Südtirol in Italy. It is a blend of roughly a third each of Blauer Wildbacher and Pinots Noir and Blanc.

A deep pink, lovely bright, mineral and straberry aromas. Really crisp, acidic but with a charming fruitiness, too, so I wasn't the only one who enjoyed it tremendously. ;)

Then we started on the reds. First up was one I didn't enjoy at all, a Juris St. Laurent Reserve 2002 ( label - from Stiegelmar, Gols, Neusiedlersee). It was oaky. I couldn't really smell anything else. There was some crisp acidity and red berries but the coco powder oak was overwhelming.

The Ernst Triebaumer St. Laurent 2004 ( label - Rust, Neusiedlersee-Hügelland] was quite lovely! Sweet and primary, but no new oak that I could see so the bright but ripe cherry fruit could fully express itself. Deep, well structured, refreshing wine but primary. Very nice!

Weninger St. Laurent Reserve 2004 ( label - Horitschon, Mittelburgenland) wasn't to my taste: spicy oak and toffee. The palate was better with its bright, tart red berry flavours, but the oak was still dominant.

Weninger Blaufränkisch Ried Hochäcker Tinavera 1997 ( label - Horitschon, Mittelburgenland) was fantastic. It seemed fully mature and, as it was served blind, my notes simply read: "pure Pinosity". Lovely, sweet fruit, nice acidity and brightness, sexy Pinosity. Drinking beautifully now.

Schloss Gobelsburg Ried Haidegrund St. Laurent 2004 ( label - Kamptal) must count as one of the most offensively oaky wines I have ever had the misfortune to sniff. I love Gobelsburg's whites, but this was nasty: the combination of raw wood and hot chocolate powder coupled with tart red berries made me wretch.

Stadlmann St. Laurent 2005 ( label - Traiskirchen, Thermenregion) was a nice, plump, ripe wine with dark cherry scents. 8g/l RS, ripe fruit, but bright - comparisons were made with Grenache since this was so "Southern" in feel. A nice wine!

Paul Achs St. Laurent 2006 ( label - Gols, Neusiedlersee) was quite nice with some brambly and berry scents - but also a lactic, yoghurt aroma. Sweet and bright but weirdly lactic. I still kind of liked it.

Juris Pinot Noir Reserve 2001 ( label - Stiegelmar, Gols, Neusiedlersee) was awesome! This was served blind, and my first reaction was 1993 Burgundy: I had a flashback to the brilliant bottle of Jadot Ursules '93. It is bright, tight, acidic yet full of Pinosity. Needs time, but I loved it now as well.

Weninger St. Laurent Reserve 2006 (Hortischon, Mittelburgenland) was better IMO than the 2002 that we started with. Though still a bit oaky, the oak wasn't at all as offensive - maybe because the fruit was riper? But it still wasn't a style I really enjoyed with its oak mixed up with a cranberry tartness; but I did like the bright berry aromas.

Umathum St. Laurent 2007 ( label - Frauenkirchen, Neusiedlersee) was tight. I think this might turn out well in a few years. It had impeccable balance and raciness, but the aromas were tight.

Rosi Schuster St. Laurent 2007 (St. Margarethen, Neusiedlersee-Hügelland) was also closed but showed ripe fruit, cherry, lovely brightness and bright acidity. Very nice, but closed.

I really enjoyed the wines that didn't show oak - I am not sure the nature of the grape handles oak aromas at all well. They were bright and high in acid, great food wines and very moreish. It is a shame that some are spoiling such wonderful little treasures with a lumberjack philosophy.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: WTN: Predominantly St. Laurent

by Bill Spohn » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:01 am

Gotta be careful about waving your 'pinosity' around in mixed company! :mrgreen:
A new word - I think I like it.

Thanks for the St. Laurent notes - looks like many prodcuers have an oak addiction they should try and control. A condition known as 'Mondavitis', known to thrive only when large amounts of cash are applied to advertising campaigns dedicated to convincing TGU (the Great Unwashed) that oak+quality. The condition shrivels and goes away in the absence of constant reapplication of cash, so presumably these wine producers will eventually learn that adding oak (expensive) is not a good idea when it results in few sales.

We have one producer in BC that planted some St Laurent (they also planted Michurinetz, an obscure grape known only for it's cold hardiness, sadly not coupled with any significant virtue as a source for wine of any particular distinction - what can I say?). It results in wine that can be pleasant at best but so far never really gets in the way of the conversation.

Sounds like some of the ones you tasted showed more promise.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:26 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Gotta be careful about waving your 'pinosity' around in mixed company! :mrgreen:

I have never understood the mirth this word incites. To get anything naughty out of it, one must move the stress to an unnatural position.

Thanks for the St. Laurent notes - looks like many prodcuers have an oak addiction they should try and control. [...]

Isn't this the problem in most of the world?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:33 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote:Gotta be careful about waving your 'pinosity' around in mixed company! :mrgreen:

I have never understood the mirth this word incites. To get anything naughty out of it, one must move the stress to an unnatural position.

Rather like the guy that made his one wish and the genie gave him a 12" pianist....?