The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2007 Cono Sur Riesling Bicicleta

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2007 Cono Sur Riesling Bicicleta

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:27 am

2007 Cono Sur Riesling Bicicleta D.O. Valle del Bio-Bio 13.5%
Marcia picked up a bottle of this while I was in NY and I tried it last night, on day two. The aromas were lovely, a rich blend of white flowers, lemon peel and flint. Alas, in the mouth the acidity was insufficient, making the sweet edge feel excessive. There was also a slightly tart finish, and what I could swear was a hint of wood, though I'm pretty sure this is 100% steel fermented.

This is the entry level riesling from Cono Sur and a creditable effort if you want your riesling closer to torrontes or viognier. But if you want it to be closer to Alsace or Germany, it will disappoint. The high alcohol makes me wonder if Cono Sur wanted the latter profile, could they have simply picked the grapes earlier to attain more acidity and less alcohol?

BTW: Love the name of the appelation! The bottle says "natural handling of vineyards." Well, that figures.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.