The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Critics' Decant Time?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

Wine Critics' Decant Time?

by Clint Hall » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:55 pm

What do prominent wine critics -- Parker, Robinson, Tanzer and their ilk -- generally do about young, tannic wines? Wait for them to open in the glass? Decant? Or somehow judge them immediately after popping and pouring? A friend asked me that question last night and all I could say was that I knew any Port taster worth his tongs wouldn't think of tasting a young first rank Oporto without giving it eight or more hours of air. But Bordeaux and other tannic red table wines? I don't know.

What triggered the question was my tasting club's lineup of young, inexpensive Bordeaux, vintages 2004 through 2006, a hard, tight, unyielding lot poured only minutes before what for me became the impossible task of evaluating and ranking them. My first-time-through the six wines my notes, in their entirety, read "tight as a drum," "ditto," ditto," "ditto," "ditto," "ditto." An hour later they yielded only a hint of their potential, but it was time to judge the wines.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Wine Critics' Decant Time?

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:00 pm

I cannot speak for others of my ilk, but with re tastings in my own case my assistants have been instructed not to decant before pouring the first test being the tasting of the wine shortly after poured to see if I can spot that it is young, tight and closed. The following steps being tasting and re-tasting over time to see how/if the wines develop in the glass.

On the other hand with such a wine if I intend to drink and not simply taste, I may consider decanting. And if I do decant a young wine like that it is by turningthe bottle quickly over the decanter and letting it pour as quickly as possible, that allowing a maximum "shot of aeration"

est
Rogov