The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Masi Soave

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2005 Masi Soave

by Jenise » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:59 pm

We had dinner in B.C. last night at a quiet little neighborhood Italian joint, and I chose this off of one of those irritating and unimaginative lists that's mostly low-end, mass produced wines and which doesn't print vintages.

I like soaves. And were it not for this forum I wouldn't be able to say that, because I only knew from the dilute Bolla stuff that was the most ubiquitous and unavoidable white wine of all during the time I lived in England. Wasn't happy with the vintage when they brought the bottle--everything I think I like about soave would be better in a fresh young wine, and at a different restaurant I once sent an oxidized 4-5 year old Pieropan back. But this worked for me. Clearly maturing but not oxidized, the nose had whiffs of unsweetened honey, grape stems and canned pears. On the palate, the same plus something that reminded me in a satisfying way of the faint yeast and not-quite-sweetness of Hawaiian Bread, and just a hint of caramel. It was somewhat similar, in fact, to the biscuity, low-acid flavors of an old champagne, which much to my surprise made it an even better pairing with my lemony veal piccata. That is, both were a bit impaired on their own, but together they were a very complete and complex whole. Who knew?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2005 Masi Soave

by David M. Bueker » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:06 pm

Jenise wrote:Who knew?

Jim Cowan.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: WTN: 2005 Masi Soave

by Hoke » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:12 pm

Jenise, even though Soave can be a frustrating crap shoot, with the odds not necessarily in your favor, like unto Burgundy only with more modest results.

Fresh, young Soave can be delicious, but moderately aged Soave can be---not always, no, but can be---compelling and delicious in a totally different way. I sometimes get the bread yeast, sometimes almond, but as you said, something short of oxidation, from a good Soave.

But yes, I've had some mishandled and clumsy Pieropans and Pra Soave as well. Like I said, crap shoot.

Glad you found a good one.

And I do believe that Soave is producing more consistent quality, and fewer clinkers, than it used to.