The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Red Vinho Verde

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

WTN: Red Vinho Verde

by Joe Moryl » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:27 pm

2007 Vinhao, Vinho Verde, Ponte de Lima:

Intrigued by Jamie Goode's post on Wine Anorak about red Vinho Verde made from the teinturier grape Vinhao, I kept my eyes open for one of these on my last trip to Newark's Portuguese Ironbound neighborhood. While I couldn't find the producer he praised, Afros, I did find a few and settled on the most 'expensive', this one made by a cooperative and costing all of $9. Has anyone seen the Afros wines in the US - if the shops in Newark don't carry it I suspect it doesn't make it over here?

Color, is inky black with some magenta edging. A bit of purple foam floats on the top from the light carbonation. Nose is like freshly fermented grapes with a whiff of horses and leather. On the palate it is lightly prickly and sharp, while at the same time full of black currant / raspberry fruit. Some of that leathery quality comes through too, and the whole impresion is very unique. Certainly not for everyone, but it is nice to have one's palate shaken up from time to time by something outside the normal bounds. Gave a taste to a usually adventurous friend who found one gulp to be enough, so YMMV. Evoked distant memories of Giaccobazi Lambrusco crossed with something from the northern Rhone, if that makes sense. Certainly a step above the regular red Vinho Verdes.

Nice packaging for a $9 bottle, with a nice fat cork, 11% abv. Also has a fair amount of sediment, which may be mostly tartrates.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Red Vinho Verde

by Jenise » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:27 pm

Didn't know such a thing existed, but I'd be all over it if I found it. Love fizz. But you didn't say--is it dry?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

Re: WTN: Red Vinho Verde

by Joe Moryl » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:44 pm

Jenise wrote:Didn't know such a thing existed, but I'd be all over it if I found it. Love fizz. But you didn't say--is it dry?

Yup, it is dry. Or at least it comes off as dry. There is just a light fizz, familiar to anyone who has had the white Vinho Verdes. Interstingly, the fizz was very persistant and still present in the third of a bottle remaining the next day.