The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: April Fools' Come Early

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

WTN: April Fools' Come Early

by Mark Lipton » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:06 pm

Friday night, I returned home to find a dinner already arrayed in the kitchen: a spread of tapas Jean had prepared/obtained/foraged (likely inspired by planning an upcoming trip to Barça). There, upon the sideboard, was the wine she had opened to accompany this feast:

2005 Torres 'Sangre de Toro'
nose: cherries, stones, a touch of herbs, oak
palate:: medium body, ripe fruit, oak, decent acidity

A decent, if somewhat International, bottle of wine, it caught my attention because it's not the sort of thing that one's likely to stumble across in our cellar, despite this wine having been a staple of ours during the latter years of graduate school ($3.99 and a plastic bull go a long way to selling a penurious grad student on a bottle of wine, especially when the contents are quite decent). Ensuing conversation:

Me:"Where'd you get this bottle of wine?"
Jean: "I was down in the cellar looking for a bottle and I found this one. It seemed like it would make a good tapas wine!"
Me:"Was it in the triangle on the far left of the back?"
Jean:"Yes! That's right!"

At this point, I had to break it to hear that the bottle she'd opened was one of my bottles for the Great Heat Damage Experiment of 2008. Jean's response was to laughingly agree that she'd seemed surprised to find it in the cellar. Fortunately, no great harm done, since the retailer I'd purchased this from last year still had more and they have good storage conditions. The heat-damage group would have been much harder to replace, but Jean's unlikely to raid our dressing room's shelving to find a wine for dinner.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: April Fools' Come Early

by David M. Bueker » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:07 pm

I almost accidentally opened one of my control bottles this weekend. Must be something in the air.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:16 pm

I'm just wondering how the Hungarians feel about the name of this wine . . . future EU dispute on the horizon, or has this one already happened (or do the Spanish have more of a historical claim)?

Questions abound . . .
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:27 pm

Funny.
My "control bottles" are in a taped shut box. And the others are on top of a cabinet safe from my 5'2" wife. Thanks for notes
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:56 am

Guys - what are the plans for the tasting of these wines? Clearly there will be lots of interest in the tn's / results of your experiment.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:43 am

Ian Sutton wrote:Guys - what are the plans for the tasting of these wines? Clearly there will be lots of interest in the tn's / results of your experiment.

The plan, insofar as I understand it, is to begin opening these wines on 1 April 2010 and do side-by-side comparisons of the "heat-damaged" with the control bottle to assess what differences, if any, are manifested in the wine's taste/bouquet. Not very scientific, but it should provide some empirical evidence to a topic that usually has more heat than light. :P

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:01 am

That is indeed the plan. I am going to have a blind tasting of the 9 bottles in my experiment (3 bottles of each wine - 1 fully cellared, 1 in basement & 1 in upstairs closet) to see the effects.
Decisions are made by those who show up