The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: An awful 2005 Burg and a nice Rose

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 pm

WTN: An awful 2005 Burg and a nice Rose

by David Z » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:36 pm

Sorine & Fils Santenay 2005- Purchased in a package store in N. Berkshire County. Easily the worst wine I've had in the last 12 months. Subtle musty cardboard aromas. It was unclear if this was corked or just dirty (more on that later) but a quick check with plastic wrap in the glass confirmed that it was a slight case of corkiness. Underneath the cork was a heavy dose of the barnyard. Actually, the euphemism is too kind: this tasted like literal shit, probably the most raging brett I've seen in a burgundy in years. Under the cork was a terrible wine. Yes, I know the cork kills the fruit, but this was lean, severely bitter on the back of the tongue, and even a touch vegetal.

How anyone could produce this in 2005, of all years, boggles my mind. I returned it to the wine store (who claimed it was not corked, but had "burgundy mustiness").

I replaced the bottle with:

2007 Les Lauzeraies Tavel Rose- Nice. Thumbs down for the synthetic closure, but this was still vibrantly fruity. Verging on red wine, with some tannic structure. Loads of strawberry, some watermelon. A hint, perhaps, of sparkle. Mouth-watering acidity. I'm 2 for 3 with 2007 Roses from Southern France: this and the Domaine Lafond from Lirac were hits, but Tempier from Bandol was very disappointing.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: An awful 2005 Burg and a nice Rose

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:24 am

David Z wrote:I returned it to the wine store (who claimed it was not corked, but had "burgundy mustiness")

What an awful attitude. At least they exchanged it. Makes me grateful how, in a restaurant, one has the advantage of not having paid yet.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:12 am

Sounds like you were lucky it was corked!
Never heard of this Burgundy producer
no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

by David Z » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:18 pm

I'd never heard of the producer either, but one makes do with when buying wine in North Adams, MA. What's strange is that it was an Ideal Wine burgundy. Ideal has the most bizarre portfolio: Vogue, Chevillon....but also a obscure third rate negociant like Sorine. I've yet to discern a logic to their madness.
no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

by David Z » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:54 pm

I came home tonight to try a bit of the last third-of-a-bottle of the Tavel Rose after 36hr open, having travelled from Berkshire Co. to NYC in my car. Not exactly the best conditions for preserving a wine.

Imagine my shock to find a much improved wine from yesterday. Strangely, I'd swear the color has deepened a bit--this really is bordering on red wine. The red fruit has "sweetened up", with a particular amplification of the watermelon notes which yesterday played second fiddle to the strawberry. The prickle has largely dissapated, but everything else is still there. I'm kicking myself for popping my '07 Tempier Rose in December: I think it was too early, rather than a straight dud. Maybe the '07 French Roses need a little more time in bottle than typical to integrate all the deliciousness of the vintage? Or was the vintage much better in Tavel than in Bandol? If a rose from a cooperative is this good, true Domaine wines should be outstanding....