The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '05 Avalon Napa Cabernet Sauvignon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

WTN: '05 Avalon Napa Cabernet Sauvignon

by Carl Eppig » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:32 pm

2005 Avalon Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon ($14.54 at Wine Globe). Alcohol level: 13/8%. This was the first of a box with free shipping we received from Wine Globe. It did not disappoint in any way.

It gave cherries both red & black on the nose and upfront. Blackberries, some dust and a touch of spice hits the nose and all come over on the palate. Then comes a lovely, lingering finish. It is an easy drinker that has a lot going for it.

We matched it with shell steaks, baked potato, and salad. It was a very nice weekend dinner. Looking forward to the rest of the case.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: '05 Avalon Napa Cabernet Sauvignon

by Jenise » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:29 pm

Is Wine Globe a club or an online retailer? New name to me.

Oh, and the shell steaks. What's a shell steak? I know I've seen the name and at one time knew which cut it is that I know by another name, but I can't remember now what is.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:37 pm

Wine Globe (http://www.wineglobe.com) is on online retailer located in Redwood City, CA; so getting free shipping from them was a good deal for us.

Shell steak is essentially a NY/KC strip with some bone still attached. If you take a T-bone or Porterhouse and remove the fillet and the the T, you have a shell steak left. Some folks call it a semi-boneless stip steak.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:04 pm

Interesting retailer, Carl, just looked around their site. Nice range of stuff, though not especially favorable pricing except on some of the sale items. Was amused by their suggested wine pairings in their descriptions of each grape: merlot is the ONLY grape variety they don't recommend for "pasta/vegetarian" food. Would be fun to write them a really enraged letter claiming to head up the Merlot Defense Fund or somesuch. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov