The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Donnafugata Nero d'Avola Sedàra 2007

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Donnafugata Nero d'Avola Sedàra 2007

by Saina » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:01 pm

Donnafugata Nero d'Avola Sedàra 2007 c.12€; 13,5% abv

I was a bit apprehensive as I have seen some reports mentioning oak with this wine. Yet it seemed to have bright red aromas mixed with the darker fruit - even though there is no Frappato mixed in! It had good structure from both tannins and acidity, it wasn't gobby or over-ripe, but rather quite moreish. Not hugely exciting, but pleasant.

But it didn't seem like it sees new oak. Does anyone know for sure? Our monopoly does mention it sees 30% oak; but Donnafugata's website only mentions concrete. I suppose since I didn't find it offensive, I shouldn't worry about what sort of oak it sees, but the geek in me wants to know!
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

Re: WTN: Donnafugata Nero d'Avola Sedàra 2007

by Fredrik L » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:47 pm

It sees no oak whatsoever. Vinification in stainless steel and then nine months in concrete.

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:11 pm

Fredrik L wrote:It sees no oak whatsoever. Vinification in stainless steel and then nine months in concrete.

Thank you, Fredrik, for the confirmation. No wonder I found it so palatable! :D
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:14 pm

Not familiar with the wine, Otto, but that won't stop me from making the completely useless observation that the name sounds like Soprano-ese for "don't you forget it". (The Sopranos being an immensely successful long-running TV series about the New York Italian mafia).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:16 pm

When one is coming off the Verrazano Bridge heading east on the Belt Pwky, the official sign welcoming you to Brooklyn is “How Sweet it is”. When traveling east on the Belt Pwky, leaving Brooklyn, the official sign leaving Brooklyn says “Fuhgettaboutit” Both these signs seem to always put me in a better mood, no matter how bad the traffic conditions are (and I could definitely see the connection Jenise).
The story behind the Donnafugata wines is much more “romantic” it has something to do with a “fleeing” aristocratic woman (note the woman’s head on the label with her hair blowing in the wind). I believe the Rallo Family of Sicily is somehow connected with Donnafugata wines.

Salute