The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A Blauer Wildbacher red and rosé

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: A Blauer Wildbacher red and rosé

by Saina » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:57 pm

• 2003 Langmann Blauer Wildbacher Reserve - Austria, Styria, Weststeiermark (3/30/2009)
    12,5% abv; c.10€; label; like the rosé, also from the Hochgrail-vineyard, though it doesn't say so on the label. Apparently aged for 30 months in Barriques, but I am surprised about that. The scent isn't primarily oaky, but has an enchanting mix of red and dark forest berries - its pure berry aromas are quite surprising (and captivating) to this first time imbiber of the grape. It is very volatile at first, but calms down after a couple hours open. Air also brings to the scent a lovely touch of earth and vegetation. The palate isn't as wild as I was led to believe from some descriptions of this grape, though it does have pretty strong but palate-cleansing tannins (it reminds me of the 2001 Barolos at the moment) and strong acidity despite the heat-wave year (the juicy acidity that the berry aromas promised were fully realised). I don't know how red Blauer Wildbachers age, but I won't be surprised from this bottle if the answer is very well. I loved this wine.
  • 2007 Langmann Blauer Wildbacher Schilcher Hochgrail - Austria, Styria (3/30/2009)
    12,5% abv; 8,9g/l acidity; 3,6g/l RS; 10€; label. Deep pink. It smells of minerals, earth and sweet strawberries but it also has a tart berry scent that promises real bite and zip on the palate. And it is, indeed, deliciously acidic, but fruity, too, so it isn't as extreme as I had read this grape should be. Lovely minerality. Lovely wine.
Posted from CellarTracker
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: A Blauer Wildbacher red and rosé

by David M. Bueker » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:06 am

Ok, you got me. I have never heard of this grape.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: A Blauer Wildbacher red and rosé

by Saina » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:02 pm

Never heard of such a mainstream grape as this? :shock: It is a specialty of (mostly West) Steiermark, usually made into sparkling (schilchersekt) or still rosé (schilcher), rarely to red. It is known for its ferocious acidity (which is why I have spent a couple years tracking them down :D ) and attractive berry aromas. I have one rosé to go, that I'll probably open up sometime this week. And I am very much looking forward to it.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.