The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 F.X. Pichler Riesling Smaragd Loibner Oberhauser

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: 2000 F.X. Pichler Riesling Smaragd Loibner Oberhauser

by JC (NC) » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:06 pm

Wachau, Austria
Trocken
13% alcohol
Medium gold color with clarity. This wine, labeled as a dry wine, almost tastes sweet like ripe nectarines. A little fruit cocktail in the mix too--like a combination of pear and Maraschino cherries and grapes. Tastes rich and mature. Possibly close to oxidizing? Gives a bit of a tingle on the underside of the tongue. Long finish. I liked this with breaded fish filet and with chicken in asparagus sauce over the weekend. Wish I had more Pichler or Nigl on hand.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2000 F.X. Pichler Riesling Smaragd Loibner Oberhauser

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:26 pm

The 2000 vintage is on a very fast maturing track. I am actually surprised your bottle showed so well.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:49 pm

JC (NC) wrote:Wish I had more Pichler or Nigl on hand.

There can never be enough Pichler in a cellar.

That sounds excellent (then again his Smaragds usually are!). Re. the oxidation/maturation - had the '00 Kellerberg Riesling Smaragd a few months ago and it was a stunning wine. Explosive aromatics, amazing intensity and depth although that also felt surprisingly mature with a lot of developed and perfectly integrated flavours. If you've got any, drink em. :)
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:51 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:That sounds excellent...

Really? I thought the fruit cocktail part sounded suspicious. Or maybe that is because I associate fruit cocktail with tinned flavors and Jane may not have meant that.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

albany, ny

by Salil » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:58 pm

Well, when you're talking about nectarines, cherries, pear, grapes and mature flavours - it doesn't sound like a bad combination. (And then again, the few times I've had fruit cocktail it wasn't from a can.)

Besides, it's FX Pichler. ;) When we're talking Pichler Smaragds, nothing sounds suspicious (at least for someone who's gotten hooked onto those wines, unfortunately for my bank account... I can almost feel my wallet screaming after that offer from Crush today on 07 Kellerberg).
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:16 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Really? I thought the fruit cocktail part sounded suspicious. Or maybe that is because I associate fruit cocktail with tinned flavors and Jane may not have meant that.

Rahsaan - Michael Broadbent uses "fruit cocktail" as his typical descriptor for Riesling from the Nahe.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:13 am

Ok, I see what you guys are saying.

But for me when some rich white wines start aging too much and losing grip they get the tinned qualities, which sounded like it could be happening from these notes.

Obviously I was wrong.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

albany, ny

by Salil » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:55 am

Rahsaan wrote:But for me when some rich white wines start aging too much and losing grip they get the tinned qualities, which sounded like it could be happening from these notes.

While that could happen, I don't think that's a risk with Pichler's wines. I've had a couple of Kellerberg Rieslings with a little age on them - had the '99 Smaragd a few weeks back, and it was absolutely stunning - immense, powerful and beautifully balanced with tons of fruit and mineral, but no sign of any tinned character and gave the impression it had years ahead.

As David said the 00s seem to be a little more advanced than other years - but the FX Pichler wines from what I've had so far seem to have the balance to age really beautifully across most vintages (I've only found his 06s a little too ripe and big - but the 07s I've had so far are truly, truly spectacular.)
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:41 am

Rahsaan, in this case I wasn't getting the tinned taste of fruit cocktail but I have encountered that in some less than stellar wines. I guess I should specify that it was the fruit combination rather than the tinny note that prompted my comparison.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:04 am

Ok ok. I guess this just highlights the personal nature of tasting note descriptors.

For whatever reason (most likely the horrid concoctions I was forced to eat during church lunches as a child) I think of fruit cocktail as a factory-made tinned product.

I guess others of you have eaten fresher versions!

Regardless, I am glad the wine was tasty.