The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Nuits St. Georges

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Nuits St. Georges

by Bill Spohn » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:31 pm

Burgundy dinner notes.

The usual post wine festival meal with Roy Hersh, up from Seattle.

First, we tasted a few half full bottles that one of our crew had liberated from another tasting

2006 Dom. de la Mordoree Reine des Bois CNduP – warm funky nose, dark colour, fairly tannic still, but smooth and quite long. Really, really good!

2006 Radio Coteau La Neblina Pinot Noir – nice slightly warm earthy nose, this had a fairly ripe flavour profile and good length. I liked it.

2001 Dom. de Courcel Pommard Grand Cru Clos des Epenots – nose subdued, middle decent, ending high in acidity.

Then we started with two whites brought by members:

2002 Wm. Fevre Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos – medium colour, and a very good nose with a little lime and stones, great stuffing on palate, and nice lengthy finish. I liked this a lot.

1996 Drouhin Corton Charlemagne – this nice wine was starting to show it’s age in terms of colour but still had a nice mature nose that I think threw the guys used to drinking such wines young, a bit. Honey and spice. Good balance, but the fact that it faded in the glass indicates that it is nearing the end of its road.

From then on, we were into our theme, which was premier cru wines from Nuits St. Georges.

2002 Robert Chevillon NSG Les Chaignots – great way to start off, with a pleasant sweet fruit nose, smooth n the mouth and ending with soft tannins. Going back to it later showed a nose that had developed and improved. Very Good.

2003 Faiveley NSG Aux Chaignots – nose closed compared to the Chevillon, good structure here but harder tannins coupled with good fruit indicated more time will be rewarded.

1999 Dom. des Perdrix NSG Les Terres Blanches – heaviest bottle of the day – hate to pay their shipping bills. Leather and strawberries in the nose, good fruit and soft tannins. Very presentable.

2006 Robt. Arnoux Clos des Corvees Pagets – dark and somewhat tannic, with a warmer toasty nose and a hint f bret, this one was pretty good, but nowhere near ready.

1995 A. Chopin et fils NSG Aux Murgers – only a very light funkiness in this nose, which was mostly good fruit, and a balanced clean wine, perhaps the best balance of the night. The nose cleaned up to show nothing but pleasant bright fruit. Widely regarded as the wine most on point that evening.

1990 Thibault Liger-Belair Les St. Georges – funky nose with almost a hint of TCA, but it blew off, so it wasn’t. Drying out a bit, this one was past it’s peak.

2004 Yquem – yes, infanticide, but the cork was pulled, there I was with a glass in my hand, what was I to do…. Pineapple nose that later took on some pine needle elements, light colour, medium sweet, great flavour intensity, but the finish s still a bit abrupt. Needs LOTS of time.

1968 Oliveiras Reserve Boal Madeira – a red/brown colour, typical penetrating maderised nose, full in the mouth with exceptional length. Why, oh why do these magnificent wines receive so little attention?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Nuits St. Georges

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:43 pm

And you didn't die from rusticity exposure. :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up