The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Couhins Lurton Blanc 2002

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MichaelRedhill

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:42 am

Narbonne, France

WTN: Couhins Lurton Blanc 2002

by MichaelRedhill » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:51 am

I picked this up in the midst of attempting to learn more about the affordable Bordeaux whites, and having loved the Carbonnieux recently, I decided to try this 2002 Couhin Lurton. First off, it seems to me these SBs from Bordeaux can afford to sit still longer than this one had, but 2002 was reputed to be a decent vintage and so I popped and poured with my white-adoring wife.

A nice, sunny yellow wine in the glass, with a very citrussy nose. Flavours of gooseberry and lemon, very sharp, but cut grass as well, and a burnt undertone too. Secondary effect was an unpleasant attack at the back of the mouth that I can only describe as salty. Is it perhaps over-wooded? Or properly wooded, but too young to drink? In any case, it lacked that fat, mellow quality we so liked in the Carbonniuex -- The Couhins is a wine that tells you to pay attention rather than trying to give you a quiet pleasure. I can't say I liked it terribly much, and for the same price, the Carbonnieux is much its better.