The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dinner at the Buekers' home

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

WTN: Dinner at the Buekers' home

by Salil » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:29 pm

Went over to David and Laura Bueker's home for dinner and a long lineup of interesting wines last night with Thor Iverson joining us. A great time as usual between the company, food (that pesto pizza was really amazing) and a LOT of wine between the four of us.

1990 St. Urbans-Hof Wiltinger Schlangengraben Riesling Kabinett (AP #19-91)
Very pale yellow colour, amazingly youthful in appearance for a 19 year old Kabinett. This is all about minerality - a mass of flint, gravel and rocks dominate the aromas and palate with gentle lemon and white pear flavours underneath. Incredibly light and precise in the mouth with lots of acidity and a sense of real refreshment.

2007 Dönnhoff Oberhäuser Brücke Riesling Spätlese
Beautiful spicy aromatics of flowers, white fruits, herbs and minerals. Intensely bright, clear fruit flavours on the palate over spices and herbs with a sudden mineral infusion at the back end, finishing long and spicy. Delicious, but feels a little soft in contrast to other vintages without the acidity and chiselled stoniness I normally expect from Brücke.

1998 Trimbach Riesling Cuvee Frederic Emile
Incredibly tightly wound and unyielding at first, but opens with time to reveal intense minerally flavours with rocks and stones dominating gentler flavours of lime, lemon and touches of honey. Tremendous precision and clarity here with bright acidity and an almost solid, rocky texture in the back of the mouth that builds with time. Awesome - I can only imagine what this will be like when mature.

2000 Hiedler Gaisberg Riesling
Light gold colour, surprisingly advanced aromatics with some petrol, brown sugar and honeyed notes over smoke and white fruits. Feels slightly soft in the mouth, mingling petrol, marshmallow and white fruited flavours and finishing with some residual sweetness.

2005 St. Urbans-Hof Piesporter Goldtropfchen Riesling Auslese
Unyielding at first, but with air opened out to show honey-drenched white fruits, pineapples and minerals on the nose and palate. Elegant, long and really delicious (although this really needs to be left alone for a while.

2003 Carema Nebbiolo White Label
Lovely scents of cherry, spices, herbs and tar raise expectations, but this doesn't quite deliver in the mouth with simpler flavours of red fruits and earth and a faint caramelized note on the back end. Pleasant, but not overly complex or interesting.

1999 Wendouree Shiraz-Malbec
Dark red in colour with a fabulous nose - starts out smelling of bourbon, smoke and earth, then with more air aromas of eucalyptus, cinnamon, beetroots and dark fruits emerge. Layered and complex on the palate with savoury red and dark fruits and beetroot flavours over bitter anise and earth notes. Good acidity underneath adds lift, although this isn't as structured and forbiddingly tannic as the '99 Shiraz-Mataro I opened recently and (thankfully) a lot more approachable now.

2002 Fromm La Strada Pinot Noir
Some red fruit and earth here but fairly muted with a little bit of TCA mustiness. Darn.

1994 Domaine Tempier Bandol Cuvee Speciale La Tourtine
A late night visit from Mr. Ed. Quite funky and barnyardy on the nose, a fair amount of brett as well as the Mourvedre meatiness and red fruit. Despite the brett it's quite pleasant to drink (although just at the edge of my tolerance level for brett) with red fruits over leathery and herbal nuances showing beneath all the funk. Good acidity and a medium length finish.

Thor also brought along a South African dessert wine (which David's posted a note on) - by the time that was opened though I was just barely managing not to fall asleep into my empty plate, so called it a night and headed off to the guest bedroom soon after.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: WTN: Dinner at the Buekers' home

by Florida Jim » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:03 pm

Salil,
Always good to have a guest room for occasions like this - been there, was happy for it.
The fact that somebody kept a 1990 kabinett until now is almost enough to let me know where you were dining. That's one I'd have liked to have tried.
Thanks for the notes; I envy you the company.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:55 pm

I would love to take credit for the '90 St. Urbans-Hof, but it was a library release from the estate that I purchased about 5 years ago. Still it was a treat, and held up very well overnight. Tonight it was a nice match along side my salad with pecan-crusted goat cheese rounds.

The '05 St. Urbans-Hof auslese opened up considerably overnight & made a great partner with the leftover kebabs (Salil makes a mean marinated kebab by the way).

The Carema showed mostly structure tonight. As I expected the fruit became even more tired. Drink up.

The '07 Donnhoff did lack that bit of structure to be truly exciting. I still think 2001 is the classic vintage of our time, with 2002 not far behind. 2007 is fun to drink, but I do not see it aging to the same heights.

The last vestiges of the '98 Trimbach were delicious, if forbiddingly structured last night. For anyone worried about rampant premature oxidation in Trimbach CFE, so not worry about your 1998s. From pristine provenance the wine needs 5-10 more years to actually consider giving real pleasure. Right now it's liquid S&M.

The Hiedler has the burned sugar character that I find in virtually all 2000 German and Austrian Rieslings. Drink up.

I ended up getting very little of the Wendouree, but I liked what I had. It was not nearly as forbidding as the Shiraz-Mourvedre we had a few weeks ago, but it was certainly balanced in its structure.

As for the Tempier, all I can say is "whinny, stomp, stomp, whinny."
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:25 pm

Nice detailed notes.

Hopefully the Buekers' will not have to rush off to IKEA to replace any broken furnature. :D
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:42 am

Right now it's liquid S&M.

Great description and great notes; what a nice line-up. I wish my local friends were more into European wines. Make no mistake, I come away from every evening spent with them grateful to know such wonderful people, but the wine reports are never this interesting.

And Salil--you're not old enough to know Mr. Ed. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:19 am

Salil's not old enough to know most of what we talk about in our cryptic references, but he seems to get by. I think he Googles trivia during the slow periods of cricket matches.
Decisions are made by those who show up