The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Can you carry on wine?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

Can you carry on wine?

by Tom Troiano » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:04 pm

I haven't been on an airplane in years and I'm traveling to DC this weekend for the Frozen Four (college hockey). Can you carry a couple of bottles on an airplance these days?

Sorry if this has been discussed 1,000 times!

Tom T.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: Can you carry on wine?

by Hoke » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:06 pm

No.

Don't try it. You'll lose it. Then you'll be really cranky and difficult to get along with. :D
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:08 pm

there was recent discussion that they might relax liquid rules, but apparently haven't yet:
http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm

Best option imho is styro shippers in your luggage
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:20 pm

I managed to take a 187ml with me last week to Brazil after a little bit of back and forth with the inspector at Newark Airport, who wasn't aware that 187ml is more than 30 fl oz (or whatever the limit is). It was pyhrric victory because the wine sucked.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:22 pm

100 ml is the size limit.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:33 pm

Thanks all!

Tom T.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:41 pm

Tom Troiano wrote:Thanks all!

Tom T.

Wait, there's an exception: what you can't do is carry wine through Security. You CAN, however, carry aboard wine you purchase after passing through Security, and airports increasingly have winebars where such purchases are possible, and pretty nice stuff too. Probably doesn't meet your specs because the whole point is probably to bring bottles from your cellar, but it nonetheless deserves clarification.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:48 pm

Jenise wrote:Wait, there's an exception: what you can't do is carry wine through Security. You CAN, however, carry aboard wine you purchase after passing through Security, and airports increasingly have winebars where such purchases are possible, and pretty nice stuff too. Probably doesn't meet your specs because the whole point is probably to bring bottles from your cellar, but it nonetheless deserves clarification.

And don't forget what's available in the tax free shops, also inside security. At least in some airports here in Europe, one can find some rather nice bottles. Just take care if you have to change flights. In some airports you have to leave the inside area and then pass the security check again, which could give you a nasty surprise.

Cheers, Anders
no avatar
User

Warren Edwardes

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:01 pm

London UK

by Warren Edwardes » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:42 pm

Anders Källberg wrote:
Jenise wrote:Wait, there's an exception: what you can't do is carry wine through Security. You CAN, however, carry aboard wine you purchase after passing through Security, and airports increasingly have winebars where such purchases are possible, and pretty nice stuff too. Probably doesn't meet your specs because the whole point is probably to bring bottles from your cellar, but it nonetheless deserves clarification.

And don't forget what's available in the tax free shops, also inside security. At least in some airports here in Europe, one can find some rather nice bottles. Just take care if you have to change flights. In some airports you have to leave the inside area and then pass the security check again, which could give you a nasty surprise.

Cheers, Anders

Maybe Tax and Duty free but the profit more than compensates. These wines are usually more expensive than in supermarkets. But wine in supermarkets is a dangerously foreign concept in Sweden. No doubt Vinmonopolets are coming to The UK soon.

You can't take liquids but can you freeze the wine and take the solid through? I be they haven't thought of that!
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:30 pm

If the intent is to bring wine to DC, I say the hassle is enough to justify a trip to MacArthur Beverage. The same hassle you would face taking wine back is enough to keep you from buying too much while you visit. Since most of the inventory is available on line http://www.bassins.com/ would suggest you pick out what you want and order ahead so all you have to do is pick up.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:25 pm

Brian Gilp wrote:If the intent is to bring wine to DC, I say the hassle is enough to justify a trip to MacArthur Beverage.

I'm actually flying in to Baltimore on Friday to visit my sister and I thought if it was allowable I'd carry on a couple of nice bottles. Sounds like I'll just stop at wine shop near her house.

I think there's a decent shop called The Wine Merchant on Falls Road in ? (Towson, maybe) that's near her house.

Anyone have any suggestions for wine shops close to Robert Parker's house?

Tom T.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:15 am

Can't help you with wine shops in Monkton. Have only shopped at two wine stores in Baltimore and they are in the city so may be out of your way.

http://www.the-wine-market.com/directions.html The wine market has a decent selection. As I was there only once on my way to a wedding I really don't recall strengths and weaknesses. I recall enough wines to be interesting but nothing so difficult to find or prices so great as to be irresitible.

http://sites.google.com/site/chesapeakewinecompany/ I have shopped the Chesapeakewinecompany a number of times but the last has been over 2 years ago. Selection was much more interesting with a lot of Italian wines that I could not find elsewhere.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:39 am

Tom Troiano wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions for wine shops close to Robert Parker's house?

Aw, heck! Bob's got a nice cellar, I hear. I'm sure that he wouldn't mind if you stopped by his place to bum a couple of bottles off of him.

Ever the source of helpful advice,
Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:51 am

Wells in Baltimore (York Road - south of Towson) is good if a bit pricey.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:26 am

Thanks for the help guys!! I'll call Bob if I'm stuck. I'm sure he has some surplus wine.

Tom T.
Tom T.