The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 x awesome Alsace Pinot Gris

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: 2 x awesome Alsace Pinot Gris

by Saina » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:43 pm

Domaine Loew Pinot Gris Bruderbach Clos Marienberg 2006

Gold. A vibrant, fleshy, open scent that is a very expressive and pure example of Alsace Pinot Gris: spices and red fruit. Full bodied and spicy, dry but fleshy. Though by no means an acid-forward wine, it does have perfectly adequate grip so it isn't a structureless mass, but rather is very moreish. Long. Wonderful wine.

Domaine Loew Pinot Gris Engelberg Grand Cru 2007

Very light colour, especially for Pinot Gris: watery with a greenish tint. Tasting this side by side with the Loew Bruderbach Clos Marienberg 2006, I was surprised by how elegant and restrained this was. This was a very beautiful wine, but I needed to readjust my ideas of what Pinot Gris should be! This wasn't a fleshy, expressive wine, but rather restrained, elegant, steely and like a tightly coiled spring. It is mineral with lots of grip and wonderful acidity for the grape, medium bodied but with friendly fruit - but it is dry and powerful. The fruit did have the spicy, red tones I expect from Pinot Gris but my initial reaction was still that of a painfully young CFE but with friendlier fruit. I thought this was awesome, though young!
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2 x awesome Alsace Pinot Gris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:35 pm

I have rather neglected APG of late, but your post has made me feel quite itchy to go and grab a few. Very nice notes Otto, deserves some discussion I`d say!
Esporao white is top of the shopping list right now!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:26 pm

One thing that is interesting to me - the label information (e.g. Product of France" & "White Wine") is in English. Do they have a special strip label with local language somewhere?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:17 am

David M. Bueker wrote:One thing that is interesting to me - the label information (e.g. Product of France" & "White Wine") is in English.

Isn't that fairly common?

I can't check the bottles I have in storage at the moment but I think I see that on many French wines.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:22 am

True. I just figured there might be specific labels for a monopoly as restrictive as ALKO seems to be.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:26 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I just figured there might be specific labels for a monopoly as restrictive as ALKO seems to be.

Aha, that's right. You did say 'local language', by which you evidently meant Finnish (I was thinking French).
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:23 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:True. I just figured there might be specific labels for a monopoly as restrictive as ALKO seems to be.

These weren't bought from Alko. Do you seriously think we would see something this good there? ;) Seriously, Alko's labels simply must comply with EU standards and have "contains sulfites" written in Finnish and Swedish. I think Product of France is very commonly seen.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.