The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Liatiko from Crete, Willamette PN

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

WTN: Liatiko from Crete, Willamette PN

by Keith M » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:28 am

2007 ENΩΣH AГPOTIKΩN ΣYNETAIPIΣMΩN ΣHTEIAΣ (Union of Agricultural Cooperatives of Sitia) Sitia Liatiko (Sitia, Crete, Greece) cork closure, 13% - imported to USA by Athenee Importers, Hempstead, New York - my first Liatiko - appears clear dark cranberry, smell smoke and batteries when opened and a bit of funk, burnt hair, settles down by day two to stewed fruit, taste refreshing fruit, smoky tar, burnt weeds, pairs mighty fine with some takeout lamb adana kebabs and shish kebab, the amazing thing about this wine was the degree to which it itself tasted grilled, I swear I tasted grill marks on the wine itself, with the lamb it was pretty neat, but on day two drinking the wine alone it was amazing as I don't think I 've tasted something like that before, it tasted like grilled peaches, lots of fruit, but lots of char, I really enjoyed it and didn't tire of it at all, even with hints of oomph here and there which made it less food friendly, this was a grilled wine, and worth savoring, bravo!

2007 Evesham Wood Willamette Valley Pinot Noir (Willamette Valley, Oregon, northwestern USA) cork closure, 13% - appears cloudy cranberry color, smell dust and cherries, bit of earth, very inviting nose, taste solid fruit, hi toned at first, then sweet and spicy, eventually earthiness comes through, very admirable wine with food, performs better than the rice noodle and black-eyed peas stir-fry I am having it with, beautiful with food, crunchy and delicious, yum
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Liatiko from Crete, Willamette PN

by Jenise » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:34 am

Glad to see an Evesham Wood get some love--it's a winery whose wines are well suited to the Europhile leanings of most on this board if they could but find the wines. Obviously, you did!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:34 am

Jenise wrote:Glad to see an Evesham Wood get some love--it's a winery whose wines are well suited to the Europhile leanings of most on this board if they could but find the wines.

Indeed, a lovely introduction to this producer for me. What do you think of their more highly priced vineyard-designated pinots? Worth the tariff?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:34 pm

Yup. Everything he makes is good, and a relative bargain compared to what a lot of Oregon producers are charging these days. Plus: they age well.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:03 pm

Keith M wrote:Indeed, a lovely introduction to this producer for me. What do you think of their more highly priced vineyard-designated pinots? Worth the tariff?

Absolutely ... in fact keep it quite because they are actually worth more than their tariff IMO. But that is one more reason to love them. Others are debuting Pinots at twice the price ... and no where near the quality.

Jason
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:24 pm

Thanks Jason and Jenise--very useful feedback.
no avatar
User

Linda L

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:53 pm

McMinnville, Oregon

Evasham Wood / Continued

by Linda L » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:56 pm

This post works great with an earlier post about value vs price, and mostly 2007 Pinot Noir from Oregon. This producer is one of our best in the Willamette Valley, but as some have noted, a bit hard to find. Grossly under-priced we decided in our blind tastings, and one of my favorites year in and year out. He makes a pinot as it should be, expressive of the place, delicate and not manipulated as so many producers feel the need for.
On this same note, I promise to post our notes on the recent research we did on the above topic, even a few of the findings took us by surprise. We were waiting until after an Easter Party tossed for the last 15+/- years by a local vitner, who of course had several of us, our children and grandchildren over this Sunday for his annual pot-luck and easter egg hunt ( and of course, a boatload of wine ). Thank you JD of Walnut City Wineworks... a great time was had by all, - rain? - we didn't even notice due to the great friends and family.
Linda
PS.. Chef, Thanks for the cookbook, it rocks and we are passing it around the winery, each learning a bit along the way !